• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Training Classes?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm coming from a Delphi background and I may need to learn java quickly - the next few months. Does anyone have experience with any of the 5 day classes? I see that Learning Tree, Technow, HOTT, Mindview (Bruce Eckles) all offer them. My plan is to take the cert exam as a means of structuring my learning and putting the pressure on - even if passing it is not the likely outcome.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Larry,
Welcome to the JavaRanch!
If your employer is willing to pay for the class and continue to pay your salary while you attend the class then I would certainly encourage you to give your employer the opportunity to pay for your education. If your employer is not willing to pay, then I would suggest that you instead pick up a book from the Bunkhouse and learn the material on your own.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have always been curious to ask a question and today finally I am mustering courage enough to ask it. Has anybody really been able to learn a new field from a 5-day course? I find those courses of very,very limited use - more like a sugar-pill for the employee but a real boost to the conscience of the employer that he has done his duty. And a fat cheque to the trainer.

Larry Lynn
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Lets just say that if one of these courses made a big difference, it would be worth it to me to pay for it in this case. I planned on working through some books first, then taking a 5 day course - if I'm convinced I will learn alot. I think a hands on course might be worhtwhile, but I've never tried them.

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If your primary purpose is to pass the certification exam, you probably want to take a course that specifically says it will help you pass the exam and only cover the subjects on the syllabus. If you are spending only 5 days and they are expensive days you probably don't want to be spending time on non-exam topics.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic