• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Congrats to Helen Thomas

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
.. on posting 1000+ posts.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Until my next re-incarnation.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I like this incarnation. Congratulations!

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You go, girl!

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations, Helen!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Helen Thomas:
Until my next re-incarnation.

Congratulations and cheers!

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You are all too kind, but thank you.
Pradeep you post good ! Keep it up. I keep telling myself, fewer links and more of your own thoughts. Unfortunately experience is the best teacher. Or is it the "best" ? Certainly any worthwhile experience demands
commitment of your best.
Jesse I always catch up on your posts.
Just one leetle incarnation just to bug Mr. Jim (cackling and rubbing hands in wicked glee) and then the royal we could die trying to get all serious and academic like those four 'tenders up there. And the many other 'tenders. Hope the JavaRanch community realises how lucky it is for all the real hard work and thoughtfullness they put in..

Could a kindly bartender please close this thread now ?

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would, but since you asked for a kindly bartender I guess it was addressed to someone else.

Congratulations, Helen!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations, Helen!

Joyce

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations from me too!!!

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats Helen, and each and every one of your posts have been in answering all of my Java questions. Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This thread still open ?

No thank you Mark! You answered my first post in SCJD sorting an RMI exception and I never looked back on RMI. Partly thanks to wrapper classes. But you did save me a lot of grief and tried so many things yourself to help.

Special thanks to Max Habibi et al for NOT letting posters waste time on the subtleties of New England Pine vs Texas Beef. Striving for pure MD is very hard work and pure emotion in motion. (Besides Max writes some good books on Java Expressions and the like).

Many thanks to Mark Herschberg and Tim Holloway for sparking some very interesting job discussions. Tim should have his own column. Delightful sarcasm. As is Michael Ernest's. I bet they don't get asked stupid questions.

The list of names is long,the teachers are excellent (namely Kathy Sierra, Marilyn,Pauline Mcnamara, Jessica Sant, Bert Bates and a whole host of others) and I'd urge every newbie I meet to sign up for courses here. Most Java adult training schools here have facilities for people to meet, whiz whiteboards that print off stuff, mock prep questions for the Certification exams AND charge between �5000 and �10,000 and still rely on resources like the JavaRanch. Half of them are cowboys who don't really care.

Bear Bibault for writing a game that's driving me NUTS. It's the first game I care to look under the hood. Well I am graduating from Stinky and Loof.

Ilja Preuss,Lasse Kosskela who are demi gods in the OOAD && Process forums. Search and review their posts. As Phillipe de Maquet's ( rest in peace) and Andrew Monkhouse in the SCJD.

Other names : Gregg Bollinger, Jason Menard,Dirk Shrekman, sorry Schreckmann, Balaji Loganathan, Valentin Crettaz, David O'Meara( nice problems in Programming Diversions), finally countrymen Frank Carver, Simon Brown, Peter den Haan who don't seem to post a lot these days. ?

And it wouldn't be possible without TrailBoss Paul Wheaton and the majors mentioned earlier, Thomas Paul, Jim Yingst, Ernest Friedman-Hill and Mapraputa Is.

Asking questions is the relatively easy part, answering them is a delicate balance of experience,knowledge,CARING and a whole lot of other things worthy of celebratory post counting. Eh, Pradeep ? And that, one doesn't just get from learning Java. Next month I go to two Open University Open Days : Shakeseares Globe on history, drama, music and literature from the age of Shakespeare and The Natural History of London, becoming a 'Landscape Detective' to broaden horizons. Well, more in the hope of getting some bees-in-the-bonnet and where best to do it but from where you live?

I can only urge the Askers to thank the Answerers.And the well-oiling Wheelers. I am sure there are many names I have forgotten , here's to them.
[ October 16, 2004: Message edited by: Helen Thomas ]

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Crikey! That must be my LONGEST post.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, and it might even pass the Turing test

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How did I forget Barry Gaunt?
No I won't mention every bartender because I am still bound to forget some.
I glanced at the main Saloon page and noticed some *star* names. Questions for them : What uses are there for EJBs besides transaction processing ? (Easy TP will do ).
If all mobiles in the world were connected together what galactic possibilities are there?

Seriously, all newbs sign up now!

Next, I'll thank the ranch hands....

herb slocomb (there's a child's book waiting to be written with a character ,an ant-eater called herb slocomb). If that's your real name, GREAT!! Always an interesting poster.
Jeroen Wenting - really good photographer, same on the Java, strange < word that might get a knee-jerk reaction > beliefs that-comes-from-living-across-the-Channel Good debater.
Warren Dew - a poster who seems always right , R.K. Singh - poet,mad poet, Pradeep Bhat - no thanks for landing one in hot water, and the list goes on and on...
Svend Rost, Dmitry Melnik, John Smith (wink,wink) forgotten your real name already...and Rita Moore..and ..

And I am stopping there.
[ October 18, 2004: Message edited by: Helen Thomas ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic