• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Greenhorn Insearch of Profound SCJP Certification Advice

Greenhorn
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello World,

I am a Self Professed Java newb. I would like to thank the everyone who has contributed to this web site. I have found the ranch an invaluable tool (being a native texan I am comfortable on any kinda ranch!) and would encourage all to kick in the 5 bucks in support of the community. But my question is ....

What else can I do other than read, code, and practice test? Is there any type of hallmark that I can look for to know that I am ready to sit for the test??? A Percentage on Practice Exams. I feel fairly confident ... but then i read thinks like 'Dont feel bad if you fail!' That shakes my confidence and sends me to studying more. Any advice would be appreciated. :roll:

Thanks
-chorizo

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would suggest Dan Chisholm's mock exams. Try those and, if you're consistently scoring well enough to pass, you'll be just fine for the real exam. That's the best indicator I've seen.

Another good indicator doesn't have an exact number with it, but I found it to be useful. Hang around the Ranch for a while - the SJCP forum, specifically. When you start, you tend to ask a lot of questions. When you seldom ask questions but can answer just about anything that comes along, you've hit another indicator that might prove you're ready.

Albert Bustamante
Greenhorn
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the sage like wisdom. Great advice. Especially hanging out around the forum.

I have another question... Would it be worth my while to take the 1.4 Exam this year or beginning of next year ... or should i just wait for the 1.5 Exam? Thanks

Corey McGlone
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Albert Bustamante:
I have another question... Would it be worth my while to take the 1.4 Exam this year or beginning of next year ... or should i just wait for the 1.5 Exam? Thanks

If you've already spent a lot of time and effort preparing for the 1.4 version of the exam, it may make sense for you to just take that exam. However, if you're just starting (or willing to wait a bit), I'd suggest holding off for the 1.5 exam. Unfortunately, I haven't heard much news about the 1.5 exam so it might be months before anything is seen, but the original plan had been early 2005.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic