• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Applet - ie5 version problem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
suppose i developed an applet using the latest version of jdk, and when i try to access it from someother machine on ie5, will it execute?
when the applet get downloaded on the client's machine will it update the jvm also? do we have different versions of jvm for different versions of jdk?

thanx
vishnu

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
suppose i developed an applet using the latest version of jdk, and when i try to access it from someother machine on ie5, will it execute?
If you compile with the defaul settings, then the browser will require a Java 2 v1.3 plug-in or newer.
when the applet get downloaded on the client's machine will it update the jvm also?
No.
do we have different versions of jvm for different versions of jdk?
Yes.
You can specify a tag that will cause the user's browser to be forwarded to Sun's plug-in download/installation page. Take a look at Exploring Java 2 Browser Support for further details and an example applet tag.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to provide an applet that will run in a "stock" Microsoft Virtual Machine (version 1.1.4), you will have to use a version 1.1.x compiler (and stay away from 1.2 code ).
I have made this work with a version 1.1.8 JDK, which is still available from Sun, but it is kind of a pain.
PCS

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Or, if you are using jdk1.4, you can compile with the -target option.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic