• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Applet or JavaScript

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello,
I am working on a project. It will have a file server with lots of files.
I want to have clients on the network be able to access the server (through web browser) and download files as needed. Sounds easy enough...right?
The problem is the user does not know what "files" he needs to download. They are not named in such a way as to make it easy to get....and I cannot change those names.
So, I want to provide an interface to the user (in his browser) that gives him the ability to provide parameters that the a java application or javascript server side app can determine which file or files the user needs.
So, would it be better to do this using a server side java application and java applet in the web page....or do it with javascript (client and server side).
Keep in mind the client will submit his parameters and the server will access the file system on the server and return to the user a link (FTP View) to the files he needs based on his submitted parameters.
Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic