• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

View Recent Posts / Deleted Messages bug

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is it already a known bug that deleting topics messes up View Recent Posts lists?

Try this: Look at Yashawini D.P's profile and click on View Recent Posts.

As of Apr 27, 2005 at 13:30 GMT this user had two posts. Originally he(?) had a "Mapping of APIs" post in both JiG(beg) and JiG(int). I responded to the one in JiG(int) that it was a repeated topic and all replies should go to the JiG(beg) topic.

My guess would be that either the user or the admin deleted the topic in JiG(int). And now his recent posts list shows the JiG(beg) version of his "Mapping of APIs" topic plus a completely different topic in JiG(int) by someone else. I would bet that when he posted to JiG(int) a record was added to his profile with the JiG(int) forum number and the "Mapping of APIs" topic number and message number. Then, when he deleted his original message in that topic, it messed up the numbering of topics. Now the "Running a JAR file from a java program" topic is in the position that "Mapping of APIs" used to occupy in JiG(int), and that's why his recent posts list shows a topic by someone completely different.

(It also explains why my list said that I posted to the Sun Pucky topic in MD a while ago.)

Is this already a known problem? Is there anything that can be done? Is it worth worrying about?

Ryan

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It's known, there's nothing you can do about it, and it's not really worth worrying about. As soon as (or if) our friend makes another post, his cached "Recent posts" page will be updated, and the bad link will be gone.

The "bug" shows up only if someone makes a post, and someone looks at their "Recent posts" list before that post is deleted, and then someone else looks at it before that user posts again. Not a big deal.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic