• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

certification

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When and if I decide to get certified in Java from Sun, what is a well written Sun certification prepatory textbook? Currently I have HeadFirst Java.

thank you
derek

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Derek,

I'm going to move this over to our "Programmer Certification (SCJP)" forum, where you'll get the best advice on this topic.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I recommend SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide. It's written in the same style and similar difficulty level as the real exam.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi ranchers,

the book recommended by Scott seems to be kind of a standard in this forum. Therefore it's called just the K&B book. Enjoy it (no - you cannot have mine).

Yours,
Bu.

Derek B Smith
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok thanks but I was also recommended to use
SCJA - Sun Certified Java Associate Certification Study Guide for Java 5, J2EE and J2ME Technology from ExamScam.com - The Pre SCJP, Programmers Certification by Cameron McKenzie.

Are they both very similar? Which is better for someone who has programming experience in Perl and beginner experience in Java?

The book by Cameron had 6 reviews of which 1 was bad and that said:

This book was decent. It gives you a good high level view of Java basics as well as a good overview of J2SE, J2EE, and J2ME technologies. It doesn't bog you down in code, and it's easy to get through multiple chapters in a single sitting.
What I didn't like about this book were the test questions. A good number of the questions you're asked in these little exam snippets are never covered in the chapter being tested over. It's frustraing seeing questions littered with acronyms that were never even mentioned in the chapter (or the rest of the book). This is especially evident in the J2EE sections. The fifteen question mock exam was also a HORRIBLE MESS! About half of the questions were never mentioned in the preceding chapters, and the answer key didn't even match up with the questions.
Luckily I knew a good deal about Java before hand or I never would've passed the test. This book needs to be put through a more stringent editorial process. It's good for an overview of the various Java technologies, but I wouldn't rely on it to pass anything.

The only negative review on the SCJP book was this book is not for beginners as below:

This book is not for newcomers to the Java language. However, if you want to get the idea of just what to expect for the exams, what kind of questions you are likely to get asked and pitfalls to avoid, this is the right book.
Each chapter got lots of exercises to review the subjects. Highly recommended if you are going to take the exam.

please reply.

thanks
derek

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depends which exam you intend to study for and take. If you are going for the SCJP then you should get the K&B book. A review that says it is not for beginners is not really a criticism, it is just a comment on the level it is aimed at. If you are a beginner the same authors have an excellent book called HeadFirst Java.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Be aware that SCJA is not a pre-requisite for SCJP, it is meant for a quite different audience. Buying a book for SCJA to study for SCJP is a waste of money, unless you have no idea of Java technology or programming.

Scott Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Derek, Barry and Marcus bring up a good point. Which certification are you planning to take? The SCJP or SCJA? My recommendation was based on the assumption that you were studying for the SCJP (since we're in the SCJP forum.)

If you are trying for the SCJA, you may still find K&B useful, but I'm not familiar with that exam. You may want to post your question in the Associate Certification forum.

Derek B Smith
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok I appreciate all the responses, but what is the difference between SCJP, SCJD and SCJA. Isn't a developer and a progammer one in the same. Is an associate considered entry level?

thanks
derek

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
SCJA is the entry level certification. You can read more about the Java certification levels at Sun's site.

Sun Certification Listing

The SCJA requires a more well rounded knowledge of Java. You don't need to be a heavy programmer, as syntax is only about 40% of the exam. The rest is proving you know when to use various components, and how various components can be used, such as Midlets, Servlets, JSPs, EJBs, etc. The breath of knowledge for the SCJA certification is wide, but not nearly as deep as SCJP.

So far, the people who have purchased my book have had incredible success and great scores in passing the exam. You can get an idea of how I write from my website, www.scja.com.

Cheers!

-Cameron McKenzie

Scott Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Derek]what is the difference between SCJP, SCJD and SCJA.

Sun calls the SCJA an "entry level" exam. It may be worth taking if you are a project manager or college student trying to demonstrate basic Java knowledge.

But, in my opinion, if you are a Java programmer and plan to take the SCJP anyway, I would skip directly to that exam. I don't think it's worth the money in this situation.

Passing the SCJP is a pre-requisite for all of the other certifications besides the SCJA.

While SCJP is a multiple choice/short answer exam, SCJD involves demonstrating practical knowledge by implementing a small business system.
[ November 16, 2006: Message edited by: Scott Johnson ]

Derek B Smith
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well to be honest I am a Unix Admin with a focus on the applcation support side and Perl / Perl CGI programming. I have been in the IT industry since college 8 years ago and now I am trying to make the transition to a Java developer. With that I think taking the SCJA would be best then the SCJP then move to a speciliaty then and architect...if I go that far.

Any more comments?

thanks again,
derek

GO BUCKEYES!

Scott Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since:

1. you plan to get a SCJP anyway
2. SCJA isn't a prerequisite of SCJP
3. and a SCJA certification isn't useful once you have a SCJP certification

I'd skip directly to SCJP.

But that's me. YMMV.

Derek B Smith
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
at http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/index.xml it seems to me the first step is JA since this is entry level and I am new to Java but not new to programming specifically in Perl. Ok I will think about it.

thanks
derek

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic