• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Looking for entry-level / OJT job in Ontario, Canada

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I've been sending out my resumes everywhere, workopolis, monster, craigslist, etc. Also been to one job interview last week, and I think I bombed. I can't write SQL syntax for linked tables. The interviewer hasn't written back yet. One headhunter has called and inquired for further details to put into the database. <Sigh> Oh well, it's a start anyway.

Does anyone know of an entry-level position or an on-the-job training position available in Ontario, Canada, preferable in the GTA area?

Thank you and have a good day.

Ls chin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear all,

After a month of sending out resumes and going for interviews, I was finally offered a job and have accepted it. It doesn't pay much but it's a good start.

So, for all freshies and job-seekers out there - don't give up hope!! Start small and work your way up.

The economic situation is depressing, but you just have to keep looking at job postings and go talk, and network with people.

Good luck.
[ October 21, 2008: Message edited by: LS chin ]

Ls chin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tips for freshies:

The first interview is really, really important.

First interview is usually a general programming test, for e.g. writing simple codes for 'iterative and recursive methods', how to use the 'if-else statements', how to use "==" and "&&", there's always an 'array' question, and etc. (the fundamentals of the programming language).

There are usually a few SQL questions in there also. So you have to learn how to select and display fields from 2 tables. Sometimes some maths and IQ questions are included.

If you pass the first interview, you'll get called for the second interview. This one is mostly about asking you about your job experience and the usual stuffs - what are your strengths and weaknesses. I suggest, practicing this interview part vigorously! Talking to yourself in your head or saying it out loud to practice also works.

But the Most important thing is to be Honest with Yourself. Don't lie during the interview. The interviewer will know.

If you are honest and sincere, your warmth will shine through, and he or she will be your future boss!

I've analyzed a few situations, IMHO, if you don't like your interviewer, you will somehow "unknowingly" (subconsciously) perform badly. But if you like your interviewer, somehow you will perform better than you have ever expected.

IMO, an interview is like checking for "compatibility mode". Don't laugh, it's true. It's not only the interviewer choosing you, You are also choosing the person whom you want to work with as well! hah.

Does anyone agree with me?

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well done

Although I'm not looking for jobs at the moment, thank you for the useful information about the interviews.

Ls chin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Campbell,

Originally posted by Campbell Ritchie:
Well done

Thank you!

Have you (or anyone reading this post) conducted interviews for new programmers or experienced programmers?

I'm sure there are interviewees who mess up their interviews badly. There must be some 'fun' stories or 'horror' stories to tell.

My question to interviewers:

What is it, that makes you want to hire or Not hire someone? Is it purely 'chemistry/compatibility' or is it something else?

As for me, I've conducted an interview (for an assistant position) and the one thing I especially do not like is when the interviewee is arrogant. I like people who are humble and nice. They are easier to work with.

Even if they are actually arrogant people, they must "practice" being humble during the interview. heheh

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Long time since I interviewed anybody; this was in the National Health Service where interviews were usually one-stage, but the candidates ought to visit the workplace beforehand.
Making a bad impression at the preliminary visit would reduce one's chances.
It is possible to fail at interview by being to arrogant, agree, but you need to be confident. You need to appear to believe the answers to your questions. We had one person whom we didn't appoint because all the answers were too short. (I met whoever it was a few months later; they had a nice similar job elsewhere.) And too long an answer won't help.

At one interview I went to, a woman applicant was asked whether she planned to have children, and the personnel officer immediately said, "Don't answer!" Since nobody would ask that question of a man, it would count as sex discrimination.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic