• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need Help and advice..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers,

Very much in tense, what to do not getting?
Today i gave the K&B mock test, would hardly manage to get 35%.
I have read the K&B 2 times, but still also finding difficulty in understanding the questions
I want to finish the exam asap.

Can you please advise, wht should i do, how to improve and clear the SCJP 1.5. I was planning to schedule my exam on 11th April, but seeing these scroes, i am in tense. What shall i do, shall i postpond my schecule?

Please please advice.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
if you are not confident with you prepartatioin then I think you should postpone it and schedule it when you FEEL that you are prepared and ready to take the exam.
Go over the sections you think you need more practice and Make sure you code to get your concepts clear.
Good Luck!

Dinesh Tahiliani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have written, the codes to clear my doubts, but still so low score.
I am totally shocked to see my scores.
Is real exam much tougher.
Not understanding wht to do at this stage.

Please help...

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From what I've seen here in the last month, you're trying to study backwards from the test. By backwards, I mean that you're gathering up all the mock tests you can find (some of them questionable, by the way), posting them here and trying, with the help of people here, to learn what the answers are.

This is a good approach if you're going to be tested on historical dates or word definitions but not for programming. The self test questions at the end of the chapters are designed to show whether you know the underlying concepts or not. If you do, you should be able to answer any questions on the subject, no matter how they're worded.

A more solid approach, in my opinion would be to study a chapter then write some little programs of your own to test your assumptions about the way things should work. If you can write these programs and consistently predict the output from them, move on to the questions in the book. If you get any wrong, go back over that material, write some more programs that use whatever concepts are being taught and make sure that you know the material inside and out. Once you do, then move on to the next chapter.

When you get to the end of the book, then start looking for mock tests, not to study, but to find out if there are any areas where you're knowledge is weak. Once you find such a topic, stop taking the mock tests and study that topic. Sometimes a different book is what it takes to get a particular concept to click. Sometimes, a well written question to the forum can show folks here what you don't understand and help them to help you.

Most importantly, write lots of code.
Lots and lots of code.
[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: Ben Souther ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I completely and totally agree with what Ben said!

Here's another way to look at it. Let's say that you're studying for the SCJP so that you'll have a better chance to get a job. If you have studied the way that Ben said, then not only will you pass the exam, but once you get that job you'll actually be able to do it.

This is only one of the many reasons why it doesn't pay to try to take shortcuts on the exam. If you haven't really learned this stuff, you won't be able to hide that fact when you show up for work!

hth,

Bert

p.s. I'd say that the mock exams in the book are a little bit harder than the real thing, but if I was forced to guess, I would say that at this point you'll need more study to pass the real exam.

Dinesh Tahiliani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Berates, I completely agree with you.
But i have been studying the K&B book from last 3 months and writing some codes which can help me to understand the chapter and topic..

I have one question, is the exam really tough..
How much should i get in mock test, if i want to clear the exam with a 75-80%..

Please help me out..

Dinesh Tahiliani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have again read the K&B book , but when i tried the mock test i would hardly managed to get 52%. Don't know what is happennning with me.
After reading book 3 times, why i am not able to get through. On this forum, i have read that people suggest to read the book 2 times and can easily pass the exam, i am here not even to get 59% which required for passing.

Completely disturbed and not understanding anything what needs to be done.
Please help me out...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dinesh

After reading book 3 times, why i am not able to get through

just reading the book is not enough , when you finish reading a chapter solve the exercise for that chapter and dont move to the next chapter till you are able to score more than 90% . Do this for every chapter in the book. Than solve the questions in all the chapter at one go without looking through the chapters. Also if you are new to Java i suggest you also write lots of code , maybe solve a few mock exams which you can get from the net , then solve the K&B mock exam . If you follow this approach your scores should improve...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Completely disturbed and not understanding anything what needs to be done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey Dinesh, don't be disheartened .We can understand your situation. Believe me to clear SCJP is not child play .But the time you start to play with codes(experimenting with codes)it wont be more than child play.

During my initial days,i went through the same problem.But then i shifted my attention to know java in better way rather than just to clear SCJP exam.Also,when you are giving mock exam ,try to analyze the result i.e areas that need more effort.Don't be panic .
Here all of us are with you to make you more smarter in java. just carry on your preparation and appear for exam only when you feel very much confident.

Wish you all the very best for your future endeavors.

Prabhat

abhishek pendkay
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Prabhat

But then i shifted my attention to know java in better way rather than just to clear SCJP exam

that is a very important point

Dinesh Tahiliani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I completely i agree with you. I used to everyday go through the two minute drill after each chapter and used to slove the questions after each chapter.
I used to get most of the questions right (approx60-70%).
Can you please provide some mock test link.

Climb the rope! CLIMB THE ROPE! You too tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic