• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What are the odds?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I just recently received my Java 2 Programmer Certification, and I can't get anyone to hire me for Java coding jobs.
I don't have any real-world experience, but I have a B.A., and I'm working on an A.S. I need to get some real-world experience, and I thought that getting a Programmer Certification would help me to do that.
My certification did not seem to help at all in my job search here in Florida.
Am I doing something wrong? Am I looking in the wrong place? Am I just screwed because of the economy?
Any feedback from experienced Java programmers would be appreciated. Thank you.
--Rick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rick,
I'd advise you to just keep checking job boards and sending out resumes and making all the phone calls you can. Nobody can tell you what it's going to take for you to get a job - how many days, or for that matter, how many resumes sent out... etc.
But if you quit altogether you'll guarantee your failure. So, stick with it!!!
Peter

Rick Rodriguez
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Lyons:
Rick,
I'd advise you to just keep checking job boards and sending out resumes and making all the phone calls you can. Nobody can tell you what it's going to take for you to get a job - how many days, or for that matter, how many resumes sent out... etc.
But if you quit altogether you'll guarantee your failure. So, stick with it!!!
Peter

I appreciate the information Peter. That's exactly what I will continue to do, but I was just curiouse to see if perhaps there was something I should be doing.
In other words, having a BSCS, instead of a B.A. with an A.S., etc.
Thanks again Peter. I'll keep at it.
--Rick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You have a BA in liberal arts or in a science field?
Pursuing an Associates degree is probably not the best use of your time. Given that you already have a degree, you should go right for a CS or math degree, and you should be able to obtain it by just taking the major required courses, which would be about 45-55 semester hours for CS, or about 40 semester hours for math. You should have already satisfied then general college coursework as you already have a BA.
Computer science courses at a community college level rarely transfer to 4 year schools; the core math courses you need for either CS (or math) will. So, you should able to get take Calculus (2-3 semesters), linear algebra, and may even discrete mathematics at a CC. If you want a BS in CS you will have to take engineering physics, which can be done at a CC too. A BA in CS- if it's offered near you- usually doesn't requires engineering physics, but will have the same math and CS (or very close) requirements as a BS/CS.
[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: M Prembroke ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rick,
Another thing to consider is that at many colleges, you would have less requirements to get a masters in computer science than getting a second bachelors. I have a B.A in psychology and am getting an ms in comp. sci. I would have to about about 20 semester hours more to get a bs. The flip side is that you must maintain a 3.0 in the master's program. Something to consider.
Paul

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hang in there.
As for me I thought about doing an MS on the side, but the good schools are a long drive from work (and even a longer drive from where i live). Not to mention, i don't fancy some of the required subjects in the curriculum -- which means i'll probably get bored in the middle of a semester, curse each day i have to go to school, and wonder what the hell i'm doing with this subject which i never wanted to study in the first place.
At the moment i'm contemplating whether to read a nifty ejb book or a chapter of design patterns -- before i go to sleep.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic