• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Resume 1page or 10 page

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well a lot have been already discussed in this matter but still I want to know from some experienced people that what should be the standard size of the resume (if u r at entry level 1- 3 years of experience), some people say that it should not be more than 2 page for people less than 3 years of experience , I prepare my resume in only 2 pages, and give very brief about my projects , should we describe much about our projects and experience ? or just give the brief, can u please help me in this matter ??

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1-3 years experience should not be more than 2 pages. The worse resumes are those from people who did consulting jobs. They'd list every month project they did (mostlasting 3-6 months), and would put every buzzword they could think of relating to each and every project. It was annoying for two reasons. First, I didn't care about the buzzwords, I care about what they actually did. Second, the signal to noise ratio on such a resume is pretty low. I want to be able to quickly scan a resume and find what I wnat to know. Having to glance through 8-10 paragraphs of different projects isn't going to help me do that.
--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have 16 years experience, 12 of those as a contract programmer. I cram everything on to a two page resume. I would advise one pages for less than three years of experience. It is partly a matter of style. However, I find that removing less impressive material makes the remainder of the resume more impressive.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I keep a couple resumes, one is the blob with everything and anything I've done in my 15+ years of experience. Another one I maintain is just the summary, 1.5 pages. I keep the blob because the recruiters seem to like it. Probably because they have programs that search through for the buzzwords.

Sameer Jamal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
how should we describe our projects ??
I usually give brief , team size tools used and the duration of the project what is the correct format ??
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic