• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

API for creating "flash Like" banners?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all! I've been asked by a client to look into the posibility of creating web banners in java applets. It seems an interesting idea, certainly now that runtime environments will be available in the future with Microsoft OS's (and that some of my friends believe java should be used for everything!).

Can you guys recommend an API that would be best for applet banner creation? I know there are a number of other items to consider (QA, etc) but thought it best to start off here. Thanks loads in advance!

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does your client already have web banners on their pages? It seems to me that this would be a fairly simple job of connectiong to a web site (via a java.net.HTTPURLConnection), downloading the content, and displaying it in the applet. To display in the applet, take a look at this tutorial on using a JEditorPane: http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/Swing-Tutorial/Swing-Tutorial-JEditorPane.html.

Note:I, myself, have not used a JEditorPane, so I cannot tell you how effective they are...

To get started, take a look at the java.net package

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic