• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Advice please...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
First, I will present the forum with the history of my problem.
I have been working with a company for the last 2 years. I am employee number one. I have met or beat all my deadlines and, been very loyal to the company.
There have been periods where us the employees have gone without pay to help the company succeed.
Now, with the bulk of the history out of the way here is my problem. About 6 months after I was hired we hired a young lady to program for us. Unfortunately she failed miserabley. However we all liked her and did not want to let her go. With that we moved her to support. She has done very well in support. Well we just recieved another infusion of funding and I was told that this young lady was going to run the day to day operations of the company (Evaluations etc...) and was asked if I had a problem with this.
Well I will admit, I do. I voiced that I would not accept her doing my evaluations. (Please do not think this is based on sex. I am a father of 3 girls and have answered to females in the past) This is a matter of technical expertise. I am the only programmer that has been hired by the company that is still a programmer. The other programmer hire is now a tester.
So my dilema. Am I wrong in voicing my displeasure? I do feel wronged... I have done everything the company has asked and more... But I just feel that all my hard work and dedication has been forgotten and for not.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So if I understand correctly, you don't want her as your manager. The question is why?
1) Because you don't respect her technical skills?
2) Because you don't respect her managerial skills?
3) Because you don't think she's overall competant?
4) Because you and her simply don't get along well, personality wise?
5) because you feel like you're bieng passed over and that you should be the manager?
6) Because... ???

I think you have every right, in fact, a responsibility to yourself, and to the company, to voice your concerns. I'm just unclear on what your concern is.

--Mark

Bill White
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will answer each question:
1) Because you don't respect her technical skills?
Straight up NO. She has no technical skills to respect.
2) Because you don't respect her managerial skills?
She has not displayed any managerial skills to respect. So, I am still giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one.
3) Because you don't think she's overall competant?
She can probably turn into a great support manager. I don't think anyone is incompetant.
4) Because you and her simply don't get along well, personality wise?
We do get along. Personality is not an issue.
5) because you feel like you're bieng passed over and that you should be the manager?
I am the lead programmer of the company and already a manager of sorts
6) Because... ???
Because, I just dont want someone that utterly failed as a programmer to come and tell me or my programmers how they are doing as programmers. I think she is totally out of her realm in this matter. And it is unfair to all involved.
I guess that is my dilema... Is my feelings that I showed in #6 unfair?
Thank you,
Bill

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
voice or exit.

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As they say - If you don't succeed at first; try management!
But seriously, can you not talk it accross the table to the concerned ppl? It's annoying to obey someone who most of the time doesn't understand what exactly you are doing and otherwise tend to be unfair coz of teir own complex. That'll only get you frustrated.
If talking doesn't help, search for another job, your learning, dedication and involvement in the company will be ur assets for your next job. Your learning stays with you and let go the bitter experiences.
- Manish
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic