• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I/O of XML file within memory

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,
This is fairly a basic question and I am somehow confused how to implement it due to my lack of experience with Java I/O.
I have an XML document that I am gerneating on the fly and writing it out to a file with PrintWriter out statements on a FileOutputStream.
I want to achieve the following:
I want another class (exists within the same JVM) to get hold of this XML document without reading it out of the file. In other words, I want everything to remain in memory, so that no file system is involved.
Is it possible to write the contents of the XML document out on the stream into the memory and have my other java program simply read it in through an input stream (without any sockets).
I am not sure whether this is possible, so any help would be appreciated. Even some sample code would be nice. THANKS!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
As you write your xml document out you could store the contents in a String object. You could either pass or provide access to this String object to your other class and then you would have what you were looking for.
However, have you considered using JAXP to both create and read your xml document. This would make a little easier to manage access to your xml document without opening streams.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic