• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Difference Between JSP & Servlets

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hai
i want Difference Between JSP & Servlets
What is the advantage using JSP.
What is the advantage using Servlets in Projects.
i don't understand. pls.Help me.
Thanks,
Das.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
first of all let me make it very clear that internally when jsp is excuted by server it get converted to servlet. So the way servlet and jsp work is almost similar. For both you need to have basic understanding of servlet life cycle and ofcouse knowledge of java.
Coming to when to use servlet or jsp. when your purpose is to render page at user end go for jsp,
else if your purpose is to do some server side validation such has database updatation etc. go for servlet.
But i want to put one point over here is that both the objective can be achived by jsp or servlet.
-arun
[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: arun boraiah ]

Arun Vethadas .T
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for ur reply Arun.
thanks,
das.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
dear arun
may i have the opportunity to share something regarding the question thrown by you.

servlets are a very LOW-LEVEL programming
jsp is HIGH-LEVEL programming
having said that, the greatest advantage/purpose of jsp is to place a hidden or unseen wall of abstraction between presentation and implementation. this task was not achieving fully in servlets.
thanks
take care
from sk!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Simply put in most cases you will use JSP and Servlets together. JSP helps separate the Java coders from the HTML designers.
Imagine if you will that you have a Home page that has about 100 lines of HTML and a 10 line table that is dynamically generated by selections made by the user. If you used a servlet that is fine but in order to output those 100 lines you are going to be using a LOT of println statements to facilitate that static content. Plus you have to incorporate the code that generates the dynamic table. Why not drop the HTML into a JSP page and create a servlet that generates the dynamic code. Just use the JSP tags and scripting to call the dynamic content from the servlet. This way the Java code is separated from the HTML and JSP design elements.
THere are a number of advantages for doing this.
1 you separate the Java code from the HTML (you should do this as much as possible). THis allows the Java programmers to dotheir job with out getting in the way of the HTML designers. THe HTML designers are able to modify the Page with out too much of a learning curve for the scripting elements.
2 More easily maintained. Java Coders can maintain the Java code and the HTML designers can manage the display content separately.
Just a couple of examples =).
For simple projects, sure you will use JSP and Servlets exclusively but with more complex and intricate projects you should use a combination of the two.
Hope that helps

Arun Vethadas .T
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hai
Thanks for tips. It's really very helpful to me.
Thanks for everyone.
Bye.
Arun.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic