• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Nepotism

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Matt Cao:

Hi,
Is it qualify as personal connection? As we both work days in and days out, surely we have to interface with colleagues whether within the same company or external associates.
What you said ring a bell to me, I puzzle over Boeing and Boston Scientific, their quality people did not do the job sufficiently. But they balked whenever outside candidates trying to get in. Their HR did looking for outside help too from Director to the guys/gals at the trenches. Some made in, but very few in between.
Regards,
MCao

This was originally taken from this thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Matt, I'm not sure I understood you correctly, can you rephrase that?
--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mark,
Sorry too busy. Just a little confuse but I discovered a personal connection falls into favortism category. Nepotism is more like family tree connections. Nepotism is more like a systematic that some companies have policy to prohibit such. Favortism is the one still operate widely. The US accouting scandal fall-out only address a small portion of the favortism.
The two examples I mentioned earlier still under investigate, they are not clear cut as I see them.
Regards,
MCao

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Matt Cao:

The two examples I mentioned earlier still under investigate, they are not clear cut as I see them.

The examples you gave are not about favoritsm, they are about favortism overriding better judgement in the face of unethical behavior. There is a difference. The class of latter actions does not disuade the larger class of more general actions.
I might hire lots of CMU grads, bceause they are smart. This is good. But now let's suppose my friend also hired 3-4 CMU grads, and they turned out to embezzel from the company. Does this mean we should never hire CMU grads? Of course, not. Now maybe if somehting like 10-20% of all CMU grad acted like this we should be suspicious. However, in the examples you gave, although the money amounts were large, these scandals were only a very very very small fraction of all cases were accounting contracts were awarded to companies with prior connections. Again, as I noted, it was not favortism which cased trouble, but rather the incentive system (kind of like if in my example, my friend's company left the cash box unlocked and in open view).
--Mark

If you have a bad day in October, have a slice of banana cream pie. And this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic