• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

MSCS or MSIT

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I just would like to know which one is more suitable for a web developer in the current market of U.S.? I'm currently studying MSCS in Thailand and plan to go to U.S. for my future career... I found out that MSCS courses are based on the BSCS courses, but more deeper... I don't know that much about MSIT and MSCIS as well... Can anyone suggest me? Thank you in advance...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Based on my research many many moons ago, things may have changed now. MSCS was more into geeks and MSIT/MSCIS was more lesser geeks. Kidding!! MSCS reinforce your knowledge more into Technical/Engineering. MSIT/MSCIS involve more into Data manipulation and business world. If you happens to read the Java Developer Journal, with the latest edition on the last page there is an article called Software Development: Science or Art? by Henry Roswell. It helps to reinforce the direction for you.
Regarding Webbie, it is depended what is your pleasure? Frontier or Derriere pick your degree equivalence to it. But I recommend against it, it doesn't matter what your degree in. When push come to shove, if something come to you naturally, you will likely success in it. US is a diversify country, you must truely good and resourceful to survive; otherwise, you keep nagging and bitching till the day you die.
Regards,
MCao

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanx a lot.... I'm just doubting that MSCS looks like more respectable than any others IT master degrees... Don't know why? :roll: I don't even know whether I chose to study MSCS is a good decision or not...

Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
It's all depended on how do you want to visualize yourself in decade ahead.
In US, 80% of the jobs for IT are business related while technical only 20%. But each organization have it own way to set the direction and I see the direction more akin to a pendulum. It depended on the executives, one time they want a walk-on-water techie to work along side with the user; on the other time, they want a techie also playing a role of a user.
If you are solid in math, you could obtain other operative knowledge easily; on contrary, if you have solid knowledge in operative does not mean you are solid in math. Any culture valued math, its people will do well, no matter where are they relocate to. Take a deep look into the world culture tying with Fortune Magazine. You will see, I kid you not.
But why MSCS vs. MSIT, could you choose MSCS vs. MBA? It is a strange bedfellow. Base on my current company all the excutives have MSCS and MBA. Only a few have PhD. At least, it explained to me why they are weird more often than not. I am not bitching like I used to.
Regards,
MCao

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Definately do an MBA over a MSIT if you wish a business-oriented degree. But also consider a MSE (Master of Software Engineering) program. It's at least as good as a MSCS in my opinion. I'd interview a MSE before a MSCS.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I completed my MSCS last year, but i am still unimployed.Now i am going for java certifications but i am not sure if these certs will make any difference.
Most jobs require 3/4 yrs experience ,but these days jobs are very hard to
get even for the experienced .People who have this sort of experience were very lucky to start their careers when the times were good and jobs were very easy to get.
Does working in the industry since the last 3 yrs mean that you are an expert?? IMO NO.
Some people i know who are working in the IT field (not even properly qualified) just because they were around since 1999(lucky).
These days you have to be a good talker(buzz-words)to be successful,[WHAT ABOUT (programming,etc)SKILLS???]
One guy in this forum (Billy)with a CS degree and all the Java +MS certs is still struggling to get an entry level job.This really breaks my heart.May be its time i should start thinking of some other career.
So before investing more money & time THINK TWICE!!!

SCJP,SCWCD,SCJD.preparing for SCBCD.
[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: vikram goyal ]

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by vikram goyal:
I completed my MSCS last year, but i am still unimployed.Now i am going for java certifications but i am not sure if these certs will make any difference.

I think it also depends on the country you are in... If a certain country is currently developing its I.T. industry, then I'm sure that the chance to get a job in that country is higher than any other developed country...
But it also depends on your personal ability too to get a position in a company, which needs a certain requirement... By the way, do u mind if I ask you the country you are in?
For the discussion of Master Degrees, I don't intend to take two masters... Instead I'll go for a Ph.D...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by vikram goyal:
One guy in this forum (Billy)with a CS degree and all the Java +MS certs is still struggling to get an entry level job.This really breaks my heart.

Billy, where are you now ? What are you doing ?

Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ko Ko Naing:

For the discussion of Master Degrees, I don't intend to take two masters... Instead I'll go for a Ph.D...

Hi KoKo,
No, if you intended to be a Univ Prof or somekind of researcher. In real life, things run by masters not PhD. There is time when the economy good and labor market tight, then company will fish PhD from Univ. If the company has the budget for them. The reason is the majority are good in analytical skill but not in versatile or multidimensional skill which required for running an organization.
If you are working for Univ, then I said try it. If not, then think very carefully.
Regards,
MCao

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Matt Cao:

Hi KoKo,
No, if you intended to be a Univ Prof or somekind of researcher. In real life, things run by masters not PhD. There is time when the economy good and labor market tight, then company will fish PhD from Univ. If the company has the budget for them. The reason is the majority are good in analytical skill but not in versatile or multidimensional skill which required for running an organization.
If you are working for Univ, then I said try it. If not, then think very carefully.
Regards,
MCao

Matt Cao, I thank you very much for your suggestion... I also think that Ph.D. are mostly for the academic field... Do u mean that combination of two masters(probably MSCS and MBA) is better than a Ph.D. degree in the industry(except academic field)?

Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi KoKo,
Yes, there is nothing wrong with the combination, but Alfred N advice is more up to date. I have confident that you know yourself.
Good Lucks,
MCao

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Matt Cao,
I just found out that MSIT is for industry-oriented and MSCS is for research-oriented... I guess the job pool for MSITs is bigger than MSCS... But I think MSCS will earn more than MSIT, because they have to dedicate their lives for the research and software development...
Is my understanding correct???
Any suggestion from anyone is welcome!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry I havent been visiting the forum lately because i have been busy working and learning new stuffs at work and doing a project with a very tight schedule(The PM got the project with 0 ppl in it). From what I know from ppl with master degree in CS in the industry they recommend me to do a management related degree instead of a technical degree like master in compsci because we have several ppl in here with compsci master degree still struggling with new technologies and new stuffs, they recommend if wanting to do a master degree do one like information management, we also have a manager here with over 4years experience from silicon valley and master degree from an US university planning to do an EMBA degree now.
I am still learning an new ECommerce platform and tool for the current project i am in

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Billy Tsai:
Sorry I havent been visiting the forum lately because i have been busy working and learning new stuffs at work and doing a project with a very tight schedule(The PM got the project with 0 ppl in it). From what I know from ppl with master degree in CS in the industry they recommend me to do a management related degree instead of a technical degree like master in compsci because we have several ppl in here with compsci master degree still struggling with new technologies and new stuffs, they recommend if wanting to do a master degree do one like information management, we also have a manager here with over 4years experience from silicon valley and master degree from an US university planning to do an EMBA degree now.
I am still learning an new ECommerce platform and tool for the current project i am in

So now you're working! Congratulations

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

From what I know from ppl with master degree in CS in the industry they recommend me to do a management related degree instead of a technical degree like master in compsci because we have several ppl in here with compsci master degree still struggling with new technologies and new stuffs, they recommend if wanting to do a master degree do one like information management,

Billy, I guess it depends on the country in which each is residing as well... Since I'm currently residing in Thailand, I just know that people here in this country do MSIT(MSCIS, MSIM) more than MSCS. One of their excuse is that they r afraid of the toughness of MSCS, which is more technical and need more programming skill than MSIT and related degrees...
I guess, in U.S., the number of MSCSs are more than that of MSITs and they are going to information related degree... What's ur opinion? Could u share us, according to ur experience? to both Billy and Andres Gonzalez...

Billy Tsai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
a lot have ppl have master degree

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sorry I havent been visiting the forum lately because i have been busy working and learning new stuffs at work and doing a project with a very tight schedule(The PM got the project with 0 ppl in it).

Shine on, Billy.So certifications are worth it !

[ December 04, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]

Al Newman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Billy! You got your job!!!
Warmest congratulations. Though I must say I'm not at all surprised. A chap with your kind of determination was bound to break through at some point.
Now you get to learn about schedule craziness. Like the rest of us crazy people. :roll:
[ December 04, 2003: Message edited by: Alfred Neumann ]

Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Billy,
Hope you are not pulling our legs. I hope you discover yourself in the midst. Congratulations!!!
Regards,
MCao

Billy Tsai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i am happy i got a job but unfortunately non of the skills i obtained from all these certification have any use in my current project right now
I am learning a new E-COmmerce tool/platform with very tight project schedule deadline.

Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Billy,
It doesn't matter. Think of new window opportunities and life is full of them. Who know when they are getting use to you, then you may offer them some insights.
Make sure you read the following link. I scan through the book owned by my COO while waiting for him taken me out to lunch. Since I started my careers through now, I used only two patterns Permission Paradox and 80/20 Principle. I think I did posting about the book previously and probably too cryptic that no one bother. (I am still practicing doing teleconference and writing email at the same time with totally different topic.)
http://officecoach.msn.com
Office Coach: Building Your Career
Regards,
MCao
[ December 04, 2003: Message edited by: Matt Cao ]

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

[QB]i am happy i got a job but unfortunately non of the skills i obtained from all these certification have any use in my current project right now
[QB]

Oh! I don't want to be like this... That's why I started this thread... I do not want to deep down into MSCS, if I am not going to use it in the future... But I hope I can get sthing from it... Even sthing is enough for me.....

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I even found out some MSCS programs in certain unversities contain IT-related courses... I guess for such kind of programs, the students would gain both MSCS and MSIT knowledge at the same time...
It means that it's really important to choose a university with a proper curriculum...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic