• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

advise on moving to US

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am a Java professional having 2+ years of experiences. recently I cleared my SCJP also. Me and my husband both want to move to US and work there. he is a .net professional having 4+ yrs of experience.

But we are not sure how to go about it..
can anyone please advise on this.

Thanks for the same.

Rads

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Recently married Danny!
It takes time to 'understand' each others 'skills'.
U know she is in Java he is in MS technologies!

Radhika, do u guys have a fallback plan?
If u both plan to resign and go, do u have enough savings to see through the rough patches ahead? Not only the expenses to go to US? u dunt wanna come back to your daddies saying boohoo we do not have money left, do u?

Is there anyone who can support you in US?

If one of u get a chance and u two move out, it would be less risky.
Try to make it less risky. You are a family now.

That's what I feel.

Regards,
Tina

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tina,

I posted that question cause I got some .net experience.

If they wanna move to the States, they better don't leave these
false information on their resumes.

Dan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by danny liu:
Tina,

I posted that question cause I got some .net experience.

If they wanna move to the States, they better don't leave these
false information on their resumes.

Dan

not sure if its false or an honest mistake..., I get POD with pppl who do this it gets worse when recruiters call and specifically imply or even say to adjust the resume using ones imagination.. thats when I tell them to go stick it.

As for the initial posters question...
Your best bet is to find a contracting company that might sponser you into coming. I have however heard so many horor stories of underpayment, long hours... crooks etc. So beware.

Right now the US market is still pretty bad, it seems to be recovering... if you and your husband have descent jobs why not hold on to it get more experiance and wait a year until things will be better...

Radhika Gokhale
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi All,

first of all sorry for replying a bit late but I was a bit busy at my office.

anyways regarding 4+ yrs of .net exp what I mant actually was that he has total 4+ yrs of exp and currently working on .net. Total 1 - 1.5 yrs in .net
I hope now this clarifies your doubt.

regarding Tina's advise I too agree that we don't want to take a risk of leaving our jobs and simply landing up there. Why I have posted this question in this forum is becoz of this only. I see many job postings in the Jobs openings forum but whenever we mail them there is not much reply back. So wanted to know if there is any way by which we can apply to openings there, clear a telephonic round from here and have some assured thing in hand atleast for one of us.

I need suggestions in this regard....

Rads

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why do you want to go to US so desparetly?
Just curious.

Regards,
Leena

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Instead of trying to move to US try moving to a MNC firm in India that can offer you an onsite opportunity meanwhile keep trying for US until you get a confirmed job. Java and .net are very generic skills and grass is not always greener on the other side.

Originally posted by Radhika Gokhale:

I need suggestions in this regard....

Rads[/QB]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think it is very good idea for IT professionals to go from India to US, moreover if you have jobs there. Nowadays, market here is tough, I have 2 friends who left US for job in India. Lot of other Indian friends either cannot find a job or literally being used for low pay. If you will be permanent resident here, things may be little easier.

Sania Marsh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also, being in US, I have never seen anyone hiring IT professional per phone conversation only, moreover someone from overseas.
How can they be sure they are actually talking to the person they will hire? They cannot even check references or run a background check.
Americans, having 15 years of experience, don't get much reply back to their job applications, so no reply is something expected.
Don't take me wrong, I'm a foreigner here myself. One of my best friends is from India, I have seen him struggle here so much.
You may be lucky and get job over the phone, but can you calculate from there if that job will cover your living expenses? Can you guarantee that the job you get will not be outsourced to india 3 months after you come here?
Just think about it, if you are happy there, come here for vacation and see if you like the life in US, talk to indians who work here

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic