• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Availability of different types of developers in India

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a question about the types of developers that are readily available in India. I realize there is probably some bias because I'm asking on JavaRanch, so let me know if you have seen objective numbers, or if this is your opinion (I'm looking for both types of answers).

For each type, I'm looking for information such as: how many are in India, what percentage of labor market are they, how quickly can they be found, what do they typically cost? I am looking specifically for numbers with respect to the outsourcing job pool, e.g. if a US company said to an outsourcing partner, "I need 100 .NET developers" (or any other in the list below) what would they find with respect to availability and cost.

1. Java developers
2. C#/.NET developer
3. C/++ developer
4. Perl developer
5. OOPerl developer
6. PHP developer
7. Other developer

8. Developers with 10+ years experience, any technology. (I recognize that his is orthogonal to the other dimension.)

Thanks!

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Herschberg:

For each type, I'm looking for information such as: how many are in India, what percentage of labor market are they, how quickly can they be found, what do they typically cost? I am looking specifically for numbers with respect to the outsourcing job pool, e.g. if a US company said to an outsourcing partner, "I need 100 .NET developers" (or any other in the list below) what would they find with respect to availability and cost.
1. Java developers
2. C#/.NET developer
3. C/++ developer
4. Perl developer
5. OOPerl developer
6. PHP developer
7. Other developer
8. Developers with 10+ years experience, any technology. (I recognize that his is orthogonal to the other dimension.)
Thanks!
--Mark

It might be difficult to know even the tentative percentage as statistical study is generally not done.But we can say Java/c# developers will outnumber compared to others.As per my observation:
1 )Java Developers:available easily:Years of experience:2 to 5 salary ranges from $8000 to $14000 per year.
2) C++ Developers:Good C++ developer are rare but medium skills are available. Experience:5 to 8 years,salary ranges from $12000/year onwards.
3)Perl Developer: IMO,they are rare now a days.
4)PHP Developer:Can be available through networking.Salary,no idea.
5)Developer with 10+ exp.-very few avaiable.Generally situation here is such that very few people stay in programming/development after total experience get bigger than 6 or 7 years.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I doubt if you will find any one with up to five years experience or even any good developer in India now a days, because all the good developers from India are already here in the states and those that ain't here are in Europe. I guess you will find a lot of entry level programmers who will claim to have 5 to 10 years of experience any way.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I doubt if you will find any one with up to five years experience or even any good developer in India now a days, because all the good developers from India are already here in the states and those that ain't here are in Europe.

LOL... you obviously dont know what you are talking about.. the size of India's techie population... the amount of IT work getting done in India.. (and I am not just talking about the recent offshore work, but IT projects that have been running in India for many years)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java and c#/.NET developers are available in huge numbers. Finding Good developers in such skillsets shoudlnt take much time. I dont know about perl, PHP. For C++ its a bit low compared to java and .net developers.

I would disagree with Anselm on his query. The Indian Techie population is increasing day by day. Lots of best techies are still in India.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Anselm Paulinus:
I guess you will find a lot of entry level programmers who will claim to have 5 to 10 years of experience any way.

How can an entry level programmer possibly disguise himself as a programmer with 5-10 yrs of exp. ?

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good "Indian" software developers are avaiable more in India rather than in US.
[ March 25, 2005: Message edited by: Pradeep Bhat ]

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd prefer this thread not get sidetracked onto US vs. India for Indian developers (although it might be an interested new topic). I'm looking for data on India directly.

--Mark

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mark,

I agree with Arjun. Java developers are available in plenty. Next in the list would be C# developers.

.NET is picking up. Many Java developers are learning c# language as well.

c++ - Not so much. People who have 6 + years of experience mostly would have used c++ early in their career.

Perl/PHP - very few developers available.

Salary mostly likely be same for developers with same exp, independent of the skill set although the job opportunities could vary.

kayal cox
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For Perl and PHP, I dont know how many developers actually work using it, and get paid for it. But I know a lot of youngsters in colleges, you know - the geek crowd, who are very very good with perl, PHP etc. I used to be a member of the local linux chapter, and I saw some of the best programmers there.

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm particularly interested in Java versus C#/.NET....

It sounds like cost isn't a factor between thw two, right? Are there really more Java developers than C#/.NET? Significantly so? Do people in one camp or another tend to be focused on a particular industry.

Do most of these developers know scripting and glue languages like Perl?

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mark,

Even a good statistical survey is not done, one can easily find that number of developers in Java as well C# will approximately same.

But if you ask for "Good" developers, i think Java Developers outshine their peer pals. The basis of my opinian is:

Java was introduced to most high school (Engineering Colleges in India) during 95-96 and was growing rapidly that time so all those developes who studied it as subject are having a upper hand on it compared to C# developer as C# is yet to be incorporated into syllabii.. (as per my observation)

Coming to statistics, the city where i work does not belong to IT capitals like Bangalore, Pune, etc.., is having approximately 650-700 developers in Java having 1.5-4 years of experience in population of approx 6 million.

hope this helps...
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic