• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Non-CSV, Flat File JDBC Driver

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I'm fairly new to JDBC programming so please forgive me if this has been asked. I searched google and javaranch for quite a while and didn't come up with anything I could use.
I would like to use a JDBC driver to access a series of flat files, each with a different format. When I say flat file, I'm not referring to a comma-delimeted file (.csv). I'm talking about a file where each "field" is a set length. Here would be an example:
(Note: pretend that the x's are spaces)
JohnsonxxxxNatexxxxx11/12/1976
PurlxxxxxxxxTomxxxxxx09/03/1977
I've found a few posts that deal with reading a csv flat file, but that won't help me. Also, I've found a few posts that detail how you would use an ODBC flat-file driver with the JDBC driver bridge. I would like to avoid this if it is at all possible since my program may run on platforms that don't typically have ODBC support.
(I know, almost every platform has some sort of ODBC support, but that's not necessarily true in practice.)
So, having said all of that, here's my questions:
1. Does anyone know if this type of driver exists? I would prefer that it be either Free, open source software or something maintained by Sun.
2. If it does exist, where would you find it? I know that the Perl community has a web page where you can access hundreds of database-access drivers. Does something similar to this exists in the Java world?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Tom
[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Tom Purl ]
[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Tom Purl ]

Right! We're on it! Let's get to work tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic