• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Multiple Skill Sets - Boon or Bane for career growth

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I need some piece of advice. I am working for one of the top 5 IT companies in India. I am working with this company for 6 years now and is my first job out of campus.
I started my career with VB, then moved on to C, C++ and now working in Java. I was expecting a PL promotion during this year, but was not given the promotion this year.

I feel that it is time to look for other options as I feel that I deserve the promotion after giving my best for the company by being flexible enough to work on any technology the company asked me to work on and have managed to do it successfully without any issues so far.

But being worked in multiple technologies, I am not sure whether this is an advantage or disadvantage to show case in my resume. This thought itself is holding me from applying for companies as I am not sure which skill set I should project (I have 2 years in VB, 3 years in C, C++ and 1 year in Java/J2EE) for in my resume. But I have good soft skills and have experience of directly dealing with clients across the geos and have worked at client sites in US and UK.

But most of the companies are asking for experience in a particular skill set for a particular number of years. Will I be getting a job that fits my total experience( like PL or TL etc) in any MNC's or other big Indian IT companies irrespective of me being worked in different technologies throughout my career. If so what

I hope to get some valuable advice from fellow members on this. I am not sure whether I am the one who is having this problem or is this prevalent across all companies.

Thanks in Advance.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Senthil you have quite good experience. So nothing to worry. Having multiple skills gives shows your flexibility to work in any technology. Moreover C,C++, Java goes in the same line. Especially C++, Java are based on OOPS. If you worked in C++ its not big deal to work with Java. But whenever you are applying for a job on a technology you need to proof the intereviewer that you have quite good command in that technology. Ex if you are looking for job in Java show the interviewer that you have good command.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Senthil,

I am also in similar position.

As per my view, No one looks in to your flexibility and multiple technologies. What they need is how much u r capable to execute their requirements in a particular technology.

So better stick to a technology, which ever u like & gives u good growth.
Now market is very hot. So easily u will get job if it is Java.

Companies always give good designation, salary to new joinees. Generally ignore existing employees. Try to change your company, sure u will get good job what ever u wanted with your experience. Now a days getting job is very easy as the job market is very hot.

Regards,
Murali

Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Murali Mohan Mohan Murali:
Hi Senthil,
What they need is how much u r capable to execute their requirements in a particular technology.

Thats ture. Its more important that how you understand the requirements and you proceed toward design and implementation

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic