• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

changing database from MSAccess to oracle

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
i am working on a project which has the following details :
the client interface is in VB.it offers an opportunity to the user to upload the data ,entered by the user, which is stored in MSAccess(temporarily on the client side) to the server database which is also in MSAccess.now, i have to change the server side database from MSAccess to Oracle.I am asked to make the necessary changes in the java files that provide the functionality for uploading.
the new database structure for oracle wll be exactly same as that for MSAccess.from my study, i feel that there is only one place where change has to be made in the java code i.e in the name of the driver :
Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); should be changed to that for Oracle.can someone tell me what must be written for oracle?
am i right or some other changes also need to be made in embedded sql statements like in date format etc.
Please help.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What exactly are you asking for? I work with ASP and Access as well as java. One thing you will do differently; I imagine is the con object as well. Access DB's for the most part arent nec. created with passwords. Also the SQL code may change. I know in Access writing a SQL statement say in an ASP page the # needs to be used around dates. I dont know if Oracle uses the same characters for dates and etc.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
depends on what object types are being used. oracle is much more feature rich than access so it is likely it will work with that simple change. but you have to check your data types.

He's my best friend. Not yours. Mine. You can have this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic