• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Switching to Java

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been working (as a contractor) on a CASE tool for the past 6 years. Since the job market for that tool is not really great any more, I am planning to switch to Java. I have passed the SCJP exam and I'm preparing for SCWCD.

While I am confident on my programming and analytical skill, I can not show any real job experience in Java. Is a generic IT experience combined with professional certification good enough to penetrate into a different technology?

If anyone had to go thru a similar phase in their career, please advise based on your experience.

Thanks

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think it can be, if you aim at the right segment of the job market. I wouldn't necessarily plan on looking for a position on equal footing with the one that you're leaving, but if you aim at something more entry-level (Java-wise), you probably should find some success.

This is, admittedly, without having any personal experience on this level, but it seems logical enough to me...

Gyanesh Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sounds good Theo. Actually that's what I was planning. Having worked as a contractor for the past 7 years, I can easily afford an entry level job. I wonder if there is anybody in this forum who has already done this. I would love to know about their transition into Java.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic