• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Career guidence required

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers,
I want some guidance regarding my career.. I have till date around 3.5 years of experience in Java/J2EE technologies. And am currently still working as a team-member... (Was a single point of contact in my earlier project - with one junior reporting to me). So don't have management experience as such. But I want to progress on the managerial track (as that's what seems to be more benefitial than the pure technical track - at least here in India).
The question I have is - how do I achieve it? I also probably want to switch my current job (am starting another thread for that) as it doesn't have growth.. At the same time, I also want to have some onsite exposure (have no onsite till now).. Is it possible and how? And what is the timeframe one should look at to progress the ladder?
Secondly, which is better choice for my this ambition - prodcut based companies or service based?
Your views/inputs are awaited...

Regards,
Swapnil.

Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Swapnil,

I will suggest you, if you really wanna be a managerial guy then try to put on some efforts for MBA.

It will be very usefull for you to switch a Job Catagory.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Swapnil
A great dilema.Many people fall in this.
There are 3 issues:
1.Switch to Managerial Job.
2.Onsite Oppurtunity.
3.Product or Service.

The first two issues are most mutually exlcusive.Coz in a managerial pos generally u have to handle more than on projects.Thats why onsite oppurtunity fails.U may get some of em but very less.

If u want to go for onsite better u stick to ur technical and try to opt for some companies like satyam,infosys , patni.They are big players for onsite oppurtunity.

As u want to change the JOB product company will provide u the oppurunity to research and innovation and experiment which u at times will not get in service based industry.But Onsite u will not get and also managerial job will be very demanding in devotion ,time and years of exp.

My answer is
Opt for company(preferably service company) which is willing to pay u and will send u onsite.That way u will gain oniste oppurtunity ,growth in technical skills and good client interaction.After getting back u will have good reason to opt for managerial job.Work over there and then move to Product company u want.

No solution for all ur needs I can find.It may happen that u may find .Look after that

All the best
Hrishikesh Bose

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic