• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Threads in j2ee

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a Java application running on WebSphere 3.5 that I am upgrading to WebSphere 5.0. The application spawns 5 threads on start up to manage the data being cached in memory. The application has been changed from using a direct JDBC connection to using a WS managed DataSource and I'm getting this error in the log: "ConnectionMan W J2CA0075W: An active transaction should be present while processing method allocateMCWrapper." After some reading online, I've realized that I'm getting this message because the WS managed DataSource is being used by the unmanaged threads and that spawning threads is not allowed in the J2EE spec.
But now I have a problem... What should I convert these threads over to? What is the proper way to do this? Is there an easy way out?
Thanks...

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ryan,
Here is the easy way out... lose the threads. The data source is the way to go. Let the container do its job. I can elaborate, but only if you ask for it.
Brevity is the soul of wit:
  • Pythagorean theorem: 24 words
  • The Lord's Prayer: 66 words
  • Archimedes' Principle: 67 words

• [ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Kushner ]
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic