• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE Antipatterns: aimed at beginners to experienced or only on experienced?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
J2EE Antipatterns, it�s really an interesting subject.
I am a biginner developer myself, and I guess that such book is as important as, or even more important then a "patterns" book.
My question is: this book is aimed at beginners and experienced developers or only on experienced ones?
I mean, it�s contents require previous experience on various J2EE design patterns, and shows how to NOT use some patterns or how to NOT implement others, or it just shows how NOT to do things in a different way?
Thanks for any reply!

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bengt,
Beginners are perfect people to read this book! And I'm not just saying that. One of the most important things we can do when learning something new is to figure out how others have expierenced pain.
A clasic example (in my mind anyway) is the advent of EJB. For some reason we in the Java space felt compelled to relearn that fetching all the customers in China and exposing them on the network all at once will not work. When EJB 1.0 shipped we all started fetching large collections of objects and exposing them on the net all at once. It did not work for EJB any better than it did for CORBA. If the original spec leads on EJB had learned from the AntiPatterns gleaned from years of experience with CORBA perhaps we would have had local interfaces in EJB 1.0. Not that the EJB spec leads were not brilliant, they were, they just did not learn a lesson from history.
My hope with this book is that others can learn the easy way what we've learned the hard way.

bengt hammarlund
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the refreshing news. I just wish I could afford this book, but at the present moment the only thing I can do is wish to win a copy.
Anyway, I just got a 4h job here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and I think after some months of good service, maybe I can begin investing money the right way.
bye bye!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How does J2EE Antipatterns compare with other Anti pattern books, such as Bitter Java?

Bill Dudney
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Chris,
In this thread Question on J2ee... I gave a detailed answer to the question of how does the book compare to Bitter EJB.

Mark Ju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What about a comparison to Bitter Java? I haven't read Bitter EJB's. However, based on your response, I think J2EE Antipatterns may be an appropriate book for me.
Also, what is the major different between your book and other "J2EE Best Practice" books from Orielly and Wiley?
[ November 20, 2003: Message edited by: Chris G Lee ]

Bill Dudney
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Chris,
The comparison between Bitter Java and J2EE AntiPatterns is limited. The Bitter Java book is great but covers J2SE and is thus focused on that programming paradigm. That said much of it could be applied to J2EE but not in the same way as J2EE AntiPatterns. The J2EE AntiPatterns are focused on what people do wrong with J2EE specifically and how to fix the problems.
The J2EE AntiPattrens book can be thought of as a 'worst practices' and thus teaches from the negative. The Wiley Best Practices (Brommer I'm assuming) is really good but I've not read the ORiley book (the reviews are great though). Either of these books would provide good insight from the positive side.
Hope this helps.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Would you consider the approach J2EE Antipattern is the same as Refactoring to J2EE patterns?

Bill Dudney
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jean,
Not all the AntiPatterns involve refactoring to J2EE Patterns. In many cases the AntiPattern involves the misapplication of one of the patterns and the refactoring is all about getting the pattern correct. In other cases you are correct though, the refactoring is about moving from something bad to one of the patterns.
Joshua Kerievsky has a great book started on the topic of refactoring to patterns. Definitely worth the read.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic