• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJBs

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Is it possible to make a direct database connection from inside a CM bean? I have a bean that registers customers
and stores their details in a database (Oracle 9i). The bean handles all the database access. I now want to enhance
this bean and encrypt the credit card numbers using 3des and a key stored in the database. Can I open a connection
to the database from inside the bean to access the key which is stored in a different table or is this not possible
because of the container managed persistence? If so does anyone have any suggestions on how I could achieve this,
I'm new to EJBs and have run out of ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moving to the EJB/J2EE Forum.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by David Fahy:
Hi,
Is it possible to make a direct database connection from inside a CM bean? I have a bean that registers customersand stores their details in a database (Oracle 9i). The bean handles all the database access. I now want to enhance this bean and encrypt the credit card numbers using 3des and a key stored in the database. Can I open a connection to the database from inside the bean to access the key which is stored in a different table or is this not possible because of the container managed persistence? If so does anyone have any suggestions on how I could achieve this, I'm new to EJBs and have run out of ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You have brought up a topic which at the top of my personal "Best Practices with Database Programming" list.
Never Access Tables Directly from a Program
In order to truly separate your database from your business logic, any database activity should be through Stored Procedures. This allows your DBA to optimize tables and queries without requiring the programmers to change a single line of code in the software.
Lets use your case for an example. As part of the database requirements, you tell your DBA that you need to store and retrieve customer information within the database, you give him the information you need to persist
Customer Name
Account number
Address
Phone
Credit Card Number
The dba creates a set of stored procedure that allow you to store the customer's information, update the information, and retrieve it based on various data (like customer name or account number). He creates a table structure that best represents the customer's information but all access to the data will be through the stored procedure.
When you later determine that the CC Number should be stored in an encrypted format, you inform the DBA and he modifies the stored procedure to support the new business rule. This can be done without any changes within your Java code whatsoever.
The added benefit is that it requires one less roundtrip to the database (retrieving the key).
And that ends my lesson for today. Remember, ALWAYS USED STORED PROCEDURES FOR DATABASE ACCESS.
Hope that helps,
Michael
PS see my post here to learn why you shouldn't be writing CMP Entity Beans in the first place.
[ February 17, 2004: Message edited by: Michael D. Brown ]

Onion rings are vegetable donuts. Taste this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic