• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Persistence frameworks? Who needs them anyway?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There has been, over the last year or two, a major push away from using EJBs. In fact the last two companies I have worked for has allowed EJB development only when absolutely needed (e.g. remote reusable objects). I went to the "No Fluff, Just Stuff" software conference last year and was amazed at the negativity directed at using EJBs. Not just from the attendees but also from the lecturers. For a while, I just thought Bruce Tate was trying to spread a virus or promote his 'Bitter EJB' book but fact of the matter is, the general theme of the conference seemed to be that 'anything you can do with EJBs you can do without them as well'.

Question is, from a scalability and performance standpoint, at what point does JDBC become insufficient? Honestly, I have never seen a case where JDBC has not done the job. Also, if I come to a point where JDBC becomes unmanageable, unscalable, unacceptable, or whatever, should I use EJBs or JDO? What are the benefits of using one over the other?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, I agree. But try telling that when you are on a job interview and you do want the job. Last time i did not dare (me: coward) and yeah, i got the job. So in my opinion it is still the management, the ones that actually hired me, that don't know what the issues are.

Hey but there is another thing. Did you ever go to a sun conference and have you heard word along the lines that you are describing ? Probably not, but then why, if it seems perfect are the specs still changing. Then why are the sun exams extended (about a year ago) with an exam about ejb's, SCBD ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

should I use EJBs or JDO?

I'm use Hibernate that implements from standard of JDO.

What are the benefits of using one over the other?

Hibernate
- Reference JDO Specification.
- Easy to use.
- Good Performance (Time), Less overhead than EJB
- Manage TRansaction With JTA.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The main reason to use a framework, whether EJB, JDO, or whichever other TLA, is the hype and buzz in many cases.

Someone in management has heard that XXX is the latest and greatest and decides that from now on all projects should use XXX.
Whether XXX is really suitable to a project doesn't matter, it's corporate policy so it gets used.

XML used to be like that, EJB too, and now it's JDO and Web Services.
MVC IMO also falls into that category (though it does have more uses than most hyped technologies).

Indeed there are cases when these technologies come in handy and will make sense but in many cases they don't and all they do is overcomplicate the solution.

Myself I'm not afraid to point out these things when and if appropriate (meaning when and if going with the hyped tech will lead to cost overruns, overcomplication and increased chance of project failure).
I've not yet been hurt by it, though my warnings are not always heeded.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hibernate
- Reference JDO Specification.

AFAIK Hibernate is not an JDO impl (take a look at the JDO object lifecycles).

As for JDBC vs persistence framework vs JDO vs EJB the discussion is way to long. My experience showed me that using direct JDBC for managing 200 tables is a killer. Althought using a persistence framework just for reading from 10 tables is also no good. Using EJB to do computation on 100000 rows is also a killer. I don't think there is a general rule for deciding which one is the best. Maybe there are some recommendations, but always what is good for you counts ;-).

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic