• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Hibernat - Future's technology ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,

I heard that ejb is not the final solution for all your database opertions in all cases. Sometimes, you need to use JDo or Hibernate.

tried to Google for Hiobernate, but not fortunate enough to get hard core extensive comparision and actual strengths and weakness areas of the three. I was confused because of the opposite views.

Actually, i am in a hurry and i have to choose among ejb and hibernate.

One company which is offering me is large and using ejb, while the other is relatively young but uses hiberbate and strongly canvasses it, We are having discussion on chat / mail, but i can not take that as final word, it might be motivated.

Has hibernate bright future and i should choose it against ejb?

Does it provide all other features such as messege driven bean, session beans etc. in ejb or just for persistance? Does it provide api for transaction, security, user level access in ejb.

Messages ?

I need guidance from experienced people here.

Can anyone compare theses three technologies and the predict future market for them please.

Thanks and regards,

Girtish Vard

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In my opinion EJB's have their place in large, distributed, clustered environements, and not much else. In part because they invade your source code and are overly complicated. With that said there are tools out there that automate alot of the coding (although when I have to generate a ton of boiler plate code like that for a framework it makes me really question its benefits).

Personally I use Hibernate in a couple of projects, but there are several frameworks out there that work rather well. At work we have a home grown persistence framework that I don't see us moving from any time soon.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic