• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Code of Conduct

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Bloggers Debate Code of Conduct story on NPR.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I read an article about this in the Denver Post this weekend. When I heard a more complete report on NPR today it brought back memories of my experience with heavy-handed censorship on a JavaRanch forum years ago, so I had to come back and respond to this thread.

I find the attacks against Kathy Sierra to be criminal and abhorrent. However, I also find the over-the-top censorhip practiced by this forum and, apparently, supported by Kathy, to be enough to make me stay away from this place.

I had vowed never to return to this place after what I considered to be unfair and biased editing/censorship of one of my posts after being chastised by some long-time posters. In my view, the censorship was way over the top and I stopped using this forum. I had to come back today to say that this whole crazy business with the attacks against Kathy is disgusting but it does not suprise me.

It is sad because the JavaRanch is such a cool resource otherwise and I guess I am kind of friends of friends of this place because I am a longtime Java programmer and I know people who know the people who run this place. It really bummed me out when they censored me years ago and I had to make the decision to leave. I believe that if you let adults be adults and don't try to censor every little thing then things will naturally settle at an acceptable level of civility. Kathy is way off the mark when it comes to the subject of censorship.

You can delete my account now, I'm never coming back.

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This thread here is an altered copy of this MD thread. Anyone wishing to discuss the policies of JavaRanch, this thread here is the place. To discuss the Code of Conduct idea for the internet in general, use the MD thread. Thanks.

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are places on the internet that are unmoderated. People that enjoy that sort of thing hang out there.

There are places on the internet that are heavily moderated. Like JavaRanch. People that enjoy that sort of thing hang out there (here).

To each their own.

I think that a lot of really good engineers are trampled by other engineers. Office politics, harsh words, anger and hostility can quickly take precedence over logic, reason, decency and good engineering.

It is my goal here to foster a space where good engineering and decency are the rule. If we all openly share our knowledge, without fear of attack, we all grow as engineers. IMO.

Oh sure, some folks can grow just fine in a less restricted space. I suspect that most of those folks will grow fine in nearly any space. It is my opinion that the style we have here on JavaRanch is best for a large majority.

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ture Hefner:

You can delete my account now, I'm never coming back.

I see by your data that you've written 18 posts in about 2-1/2 years, or about one post every 6 weeks.

It's too bad JavaRanch doesn't suit your needs, but what's been the difference between your being here and your not being here?

Good luck to you.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ture Hefner:
It is sad because the JavaRanch is such a cool resource otherwise

I actually don't think that's a coincidence. I don't know many other forums that are as cool as JavaRanch, and those are visited by much smaller groups whith a much more common background.

That is, I seriously believe that JavaRanch is such a cool place *because* of the policies in place. That doesn't mean that they are always perfect, or that they are always applied perfectly. But I don't think that a place with such a wide base of visitors from all kinds of cultures and backgrounds could work without policies like the ones we have - I just have seen to many of them degenerate into a collection of flame wars.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic