• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JDBC in SessionBean

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey guys, I need your advice again

I created a class which has methods fir writing and reading database through jdbc.
Now I moved them to SessionBean, but for some reason it doesn't work anymore.
Looks like it doesn't get the connection object or statement object from connection(not likely).

Here is the code which should return statement to other reading/writing methods (and remember, exactly the same code worked while it wasn't in SessionBean):

Any ideas ?

Thanks!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Check for the following
- JDBC Driver class loaded successfully?

What is the exact exception? Don't return null in the catch statement. Print the exception details.

Once the driver class is loaded there is no reason statement cannot be created. The issue may be with the Driver and the Connection.

Purushoth Thambu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am curious to know why you want to create the connection at the code rather than configure JDBC at your app server and retrive the connection? Particularly in a session bean it doesn't sound a good idea to create the connection directly by skipping app server.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Agreed, connection pooling should be used and the exception handling leaves a lot to be desired.

But to solve the immediate problem: it is possible that the JAR or ZIP file containing the driver software is not on the EJB server's classpath. If it isn't, do this, restart the server and rerun your EJB.

Dave Thunder
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is my schoolwork.
I just have to use sessionbean and some other technologies.

I am not very confident about configuring something on server, plus I can't be sure that I can configure the servewr at schools like I could at home. So I want to create something which works 100% when I go to show my application.

I have found out that the exception is caused by Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");

I am using Eclipse. I have included appropriate mysql connector jar in my project(exactly the same as I did it on my other project, where I used jdbc just in a class, not in sessionbean).

[ December 22, 2005: Message edited by: Dave Thunder ]

Roger Chung-Wee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As recommended by another poster, you must do something with any exception thrown. Print the stack trace and tell us what it says.

Dave Thunder
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This what i could get from exception :

com.sun.enterprise.loader.EJBClassLoader.findClass(EJBClassLoader.java:505)
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)
java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
pakk1.DBBean.getStatement(DBBean.java:95)
pakk1.DBBean.testime(DBBean.java:177)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
com.sun.enterprise.security.SecurityUtil.invoke(SecurityUtil.java:147)
com.sun.ejb.containers.EJBLocalObjectInvocationHandler.invoke(EJBLocalObjectInvocationHandler.java:128)
$Proxy47.testime(Unknown Source)
pakk1.Kontroller.doGet(Kontroller.java:56)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:747)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:860)
sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor144.invoke(Unknown Source)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:249)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:282)
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:165)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:257)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFilterChain.java:55)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterChain.java:161)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:263)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:551)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:225)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:173)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:161)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:132)
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:933)
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:185)
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ProcessorTask.process(ProcessorTask.java:653)
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ProcessorTask.process(ProcessorTask.java:534)
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.ProcessorTask.doTask(ProcessorTask.java:403)
com.sun.enterprise.web.connector.grizzly.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:55)
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Dave Thunder
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I started thinking that before, when I tried my jdbc not in sessionbean, but just in a class, i ran it in Eclipse internally.

But now, I am tring to use it in sessionbean, which is ran not in Eclipse but outside, by Sun AppServer.

Maybe it 's still classpath issue?
Can you tell me, how to set the classpath so my code would outside Eclipse too ?

Or, maybe it's enough when i copy mysql connector .jar to Sun Appserver lib directory? J2EE lib is there and it works..
[ December 22, 2005: Message edited by: Dave Thunder ]

Dave Thunder
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey guys, It worked.

I copied connectorJ jar jnti sun/appserver/lib directory and included it in eclipse from there.
It works(wonder only if i am able to copy that file at shcool to appserver dir, probably not...).

Thank you all and have a nice christmastime.

Roger Chung-Wee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, it was a classpath problem because you are using eclipse to connect to the DB. In a more robust environment, it is the server which would need the driver on its classpth in order to set up the JDBC connection pool.

Dave Thunder
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok guys, but still..

If I have decided to create connection in SessionBean, how should I do this?

I was wondering, maybe I should create the connection in EJBcreate and close in EJBremove?

So, when 1 user uses my application, how many connections are opened then?
Only one (because I create one new instance of that sessionbean) or more?

Thanks.

Roger Chung-Wee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I was wondering, maybe I should create the connection in EJBcreate and close in EJBremove?

Never do this. The best practice is to declare a local Connection variable in your method, get the Connection as late as possible and close the Connection in the finally block (to guarantee that this code executes). The above also applies to other JDBC objects such as ResultSet and Statement. This will ensure the thread safety of the Connection, reduce the chances of emptying the Connection pool and reduce the chances of suffering a cursor leak.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In a Stateless Session Bean, a call to ejbCreate() does not correspond one-to-one with a call to create() by the client. So in fact, if you initialize your connection inside ejbCreate(), you will have the same number of connections open as your initial bean pool size (normally specified at deployment time inside vendor specific descriptor, or some default value for the container). This may not be the most optimum thing. Also, calls to remove() by client do not correspond one-to-one to calls of ejbRemove().

I think you should really consider looking into the configuration needed for setting up a connection pool - give it one hour, you will not be dissapointed. It is not that bad at all .

If you want to avoid doing that for some other reason, look into using a open source connection pool implementations - like C3P0 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/c3p0).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Use this method to get a connection from the connection pool of appl server.

Use the configured datasource name for the look up.

Siva

Roger Chung-Wee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can I make some comments on the getConnection() method. I don't like it for two reasons.

1. It does three things when it should do just one thing, ie get a Connection. Obtaining a Context and a DataSource should be done in separate methods. Incidentally, you only need one of each, so why not declare them static and also cache them.

2. There are two checked exceptions which can be thrown, but one is declared and the other is wrapped in EJBException. It is better that there should be consistency, so either delare both exceptions or wrap both. In my view, as these are low-level exceptions which a client would not expect, you should wrap both of them and throw EJBException.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic