• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

changing to right staffing company

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working with a consulting firm which recently became evil.

First of all, they try not to increase my salery.
My current salary is the lowest when I search salary.com.
So obviously I want a raise and they don't agree.

They started to cut down the # of paid vacations and also don't want to pay for bench time any more.
I mean, is it even leagal? Well I questioned about it and they actually told me that it is leagal. They said they had consulted with the company lawyer. I strongly doubt about it.

Also they want me to stay with current project if the project itself will be extended. They told me they will punish(giving me a lot of fine) me if I refuse to stay. I will absolutely stay with current project till the end of contract. But if the contract is finished and extended, should it be my choice to decide if I stay the project or not?

For this matter, I was really offended and their answer was it is kind of industry standard. I just don't get it.

Anyway, my current project is ending March and for my next project I would like to change my company. I know a lot of companies are worse than mine so it scares me. I can change the consulting firm but how can I sure I choose the right company???

I know some staffing firms actually provide the hour rate to the consultant. I really like that system. I want to work with those firms but I don't have resource.

So, how do you find the staffinf firms?
Are you currently satisfied with your company?(I know it is tough question)
I want to find a good one like everybody else so that I can start to process GC with the company.

I want to contact to some of local company that has a lot of posting at dice.com.
But I was told that a lot of job posting at dice.com do not exist at all. They just keep posting so that they can collect resources like me. Have you ever heard about this?
[ December 22, 2006: Message edited by: Chris Hani ]

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you in the United States ? If you can post information about where you are working ( Location not company ), what experience you have, it might attract better responses. It seems to me like you are working on a contract basis and your current contract ends in March. From what I hear, if someone were to travel to the US through a consultancy company that places people in projects, you could be informed before hand that you will not be paid while in bench, or something like that. Hourly rates are possible but it really depends on where you are working right now.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
AFAIK there is no federal or state law in the US requiring a minimum number of paid vacation days.

--Mark

Chris Hani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, I am in US with H1 visa.

In my experience, if you worked with good boss they would let you know when is the last day of the company. But most of them wouldn't do that. They worried that people like me might harm for their company.

And I cannot believe there are no such thing like minimum # of paid vacations in US. Insisting civil right would be funny here. hmm.

I haven't made my decision if I will work with staffing company after March.

I might pursue some permenent job. But I don't have green care yet, not even started...

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chris Hani:
[QB]And I cannot believe there are no such thing like minimum # of paid vacations in US. Insisting civil right would be funny here. hmm.
[QB]

Um, what civil right would be violated by not having paid vacation?

--Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic