• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What would you do

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I joined a company few months back. I joined as a developer, but most of the time the work involves upport (I am not talking about the bug fixing..etc). This involves talking to clients and fixing their problems.
I am really getting boared of this job.
When I joined, they gave the option that I can move out of the group atleast after a year or so but the person who is already in the team for last 5/6 years, really need break from this job. and it seems I was hired to replace him. I really do not like the work, as there is no development at all. What should I do? Look for other job?
The pay is good, but this is not I want to do in my career.

Any advice please?

Thanks
Trupti

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a few friends who are in a similar situation as you. And believe me each one I know is contemplating about quitting. Of course, they don't want to simply quit because after all they are being paid and no one wants to quit a paying job before having something concrete elsewhere.

I think being able to do what you want is more important in a job than anything else. IMHO, you should start looking for a "developer" job elsewhere. You can quit your current company after you receive an offer letter from elsewhere. And about the pay, I am sure you will get an equivalent pay, if not the same.

But as far as how the new company will treat you, i.e. as a developer or a developer in a support engineer role, I can't say. So research the company that you apply to. Ask around. People who work or have worked for that company might be able to better tell you about the goings on of the company. That could give you an idea about what you could expect if and when you are hired by the new company.

Good Luck !!!

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Absolutely !

Make sure the next company is going to treat you well before you skip and earn an offer letter before you let go of the current job. You have to try to learn as much as possible in the first 3 years of your career, not that you have to stop after that. After that your learning curve might decrease but your salary curve should increase backed by your knowledge. You should never stop learning. The slope of the curve changes with time but you still keep learning.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Trupti
I would advise that since you are a developer, you should not get involved in some work which will be the least helpful for your career and knowledge graph. Also, if you spend much time here doing no development work as such, your resume shall become unhealthy down the years.You can send me your resume and i shall fwd it within my company.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moving this to Job Discussions.

trupti nigam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have total 6 years of developement experience.
But still I do not want to do the support job which does not have any work in JAVA.
The pay is really good with bonus etc. That is the only + point in this job. But technically I have gained 0 knoledge in last few months.

and on top of that I keep on thinking that this is not what I want to do.
I am scjp,scwcd,scbcd and gave 1Z-007 oracle exam. Was thinking to stay with them for another 6 months, complete my OCA and ask my manager about my future career growth in this company. If they do not listen I will move on.

Thanks
Trupti

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic