• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

65K in california on H1

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

Is 65K in California on H1 is OK salary for Indian? How much I can save if I am single?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
California is a very expensive place to live. It gets even pricier depending on where you are located.

Eric

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Eric Pascarello:
California is a very expensive place to live. It gets even pricier depending on where you are located.

Eric

65K is more than sufficient I believe for single Indian.He is not going to stay alone but will stay with 2/3 people I believe.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why should a software developer have to leave with 2/3 people to make ends meet? We are talking about a career field that requires a good education and continuous learning to keep up skills and learn new technologies.

Pardon me for not wanting to live like an unskilled worker while the owners and managers just get richer. salary.com is showing somewhere in the 80K range as average for a Java Developer in San Francisco.

Your salary is not based on whether you are single living with 3 other people or married with 3 kids its based on your skills and abilities and market. Please consider careful as this seems very low for California.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rajesh,

Is 65K in California on H1 is OK salary for Indian? How much I can save if I am single?

With all respects, this is a completely irrelevant question : you monthly rent may be between 500$ (shared room with lending hand services) and 2,500$ (house for you alone) according to what is simply available, you may be stuck in an habitation area where shops are scarce so all goods twice normal price (my case), and so on, so your monthly expanses for a living could as well vary from 1,000$ to 4,000$ simply considering the place you have to live.

As Tim LeMaster pointed out, the only relevant data for a salary is average one for the geographical area in your field, so 80K would be a sensible salary. Negotiate for this, or refuse offer, it looks too much like a blatant bodyshopping offer in your case considering both salary & visa.

Best regards.

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

Thank you very much for your advice. I really thank all of you. The way body shopper was behind me, I got scared and asked advice in forum. Thanks once again.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic