• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Cost of Migration to Australia

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can any body comment on cost of migration to Australia. Especially the cost of visa and other expenses till up land up in your job. Also what is the best way to find a job on Australia ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hiya.

I'm in the middle of this - I came to Oz to be with my girlfriend, and am currently here on a tourist visa while I wait for my Skilled Migration visa to come thtough.

Costs are (all in Australian dollars):
Skills assessment by Australian Computer Society: $350
Visa fee: $2060.00
Doctor checkup about $100
XRay: $60

I'm paying $360/week for quite a big house in Brisbane, you could easily find somewhere cheaper, and living doesn't cost much.

Of course, I should have applied for the visa before I left the UK, but I was in a hurry! :-) I'd hoped that as an experienced J2EE developer I might
be able to find a company to sponsor me so I could get a visa quickly, but it seems that they all want you to have a visa already, so apply asap!

There's a lot of good info on the Aussie website here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/
and feel free to reply with more questions if you need to - until my visa arrives I don't have too much else to do!

sameer P.
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That was an excellent post westwell. $360/week should make around $1500 per month. How much can be the rent of two bed room apartment how much lower (plus liveble) can it be ? Also I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Which city provides more job opportunities for j2ee. Or which is the best place to save/stay with good IT market.
2. If you have your visa ready, do the companies provide expenses of flying from home country and other relocation expenses ? Or this too has too be borne by us.
3. How can one approach for a job.. through a consultant or directly writing to the company ?
4. How did you get interviewed ? Do you need to be in Australia to get interviewed or they can conduct telephone interviews across in your home country and provide the appointment letter ?
5. How are conveyance options ? Do you need to own a car for communting to the office ?
6. How much is your experience with j2ee and how much they have offered ? (i believe i can ask this in the public post)

thanks in advance

r westwell
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi again.

Look at realestate.com.au for a good idea of how much renting can cost in the different cities - you should be able to get an appartment cheaper than $1000/month, just depends where you want to be.

I'd expect the biggest cities to have the best j2ee opportunities - I'm in Brisbane (not the biggest) and it seems there are lots more jobs in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide - have a look on seek.com.au or jobserve.com.au to get an idea of what's out there.

Most of the jobs on these websites seem to be going through consultants - I guess they'd be the ones to ask about things like travel expenses. I'm always hearing about the IT skills shortage here, so I wouldn't be surprised if they offered to help out with relocation expenses.

The main thing they're looking for is your visa - mine hasn't arrived yet, so I can't work until it does (sob!) but it looks like when I get it, there will be a lot of Java/J2EE jobs, even here in Brisbane.

Can't help much re interviews, as I can't really go to any yet - again, send a few emails to the agents you see on the jobsites - I know some do interview sessions in other countries, but obviously it's easier if you're here. Are there any companies where you are that have offices in Oz? If so, surely that would be the easiest way to get in.

Re commuting - the public transport here in QLD isn't great, but I think it's a lot better in other places. You could easily arrange a place to live where you could use buses or trains to get to work.

Good luck with it all - hopefully my visa should come through in a month or two, so I'll get some better experience of interviews then! I'd definitely recommend mailing recruitment consultants - they have the experience in getting people over here to work, and the ones I've spoken to have been very friendly and helpful.

Take care, and I hope it works out for you.

Rick

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey, found your posts to be really helpful! Visiting next month and kind of thinking about looking for a job as well. One question though - this site says:

"...there is the time factor as well, our experience from present cases and past clients applying for Australia immigration, migration and citizenship has shown that also the time an employer sponsorship for an overseas job applicant is as long as a skilled migration normal application. Meaning, that over all the time frame can be about 18 months."
http://www.israelnewsagency.com/australiaimmigrationmigrationlawsjobssynch1041507.html

However, you mentioned that you're hoping to get yours in just two months...does this mean it shouldn't take 18 months (I'm assuming you've applied just recently and not 16 months ago =o) )?

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"nutatouille",
Please check your private messages regarding an important administrative matter.
-Ben

g cast
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oops sorry! Updated my display name as requested. Thanks for the reminder!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Meaning, that over all the time frame can be about 18 months."

g cast,

I spoke to an immigration consultant some days back..He siad the whole thing can be done in 10 months...

r westwell
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all.

There are a few sites where people post details of their visa progress -
lots of people who applied in October 07 for skilled migration have now had it granted, so it's currently taking about 5 months.

However, you also need to get the skill test done before you apply, which
in my case meant sending a load of details off to the Australian Computer Society and waiting about 3 months, so the whole thing will have taken about 8 months for me - not too bad.

The aussie immigration system defines different types of countries as 'high risk' of 'low risk' - risk of what exactly they don't say... :-) And I believe it may take slightly longer if you come from a 'high risk' country...

You have to get a medical and an xray done too, as well as supplying lots of documents, but these can be sorted out _after_ you've applied online - applying just puts you in the waiting list, so apply as early as you can, you'll have plenty of time to sort out docs and medicals before your file gets to the top.

There are some useful sites out there with forums for people going through all this, sharing dates etc, shout if you want any links.

Good luck anyone who's thinking of coming out here to work with Java - maybe we'll be working together one day! :-)

Rick

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm in Perth. The job prospects are 'reasonable to good', but due to the recent property boom the rental costs are offensive.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The costs of migration can vary a lot and there are many factors to consider.
From person to person and from family to family - there are always individual circumstances and factors that can play a role in the overall costs.
Each migrant has his or her own standards and requirements. One migrant takes up residency in Sydney, the other in Adelaide - all of these factors greatly influence the cost of migration.
Visa costs also vary a lot, and depends on the specific visa class - costs can be from AU$ 200 to as much as AU$ 70 000 (for a parent contributory visa).
In most cases, the total visa costs (including all government fees as well as professional fees) are +- AU$ 5000 - 7000 for a family unit.

When looking at migration costs, there are four major costs to consider:-
The migration application costs
The physical move to Australia (air fares, entries to validate the visa, shipping costs of household goods etc)
Cost of settling in Australia (rent, buying cars etc)
Other discretionary and misc costs.

As rough guideline the minimum you should budget and have available is:-

This includes ALL costs (1) to (5)

Single migrant : AU$ 12 – 18 000

Couple : AU$ 20 – 30 000

Family of 3 or 4 : AU$ 30 – 40 000

Family of 5+ : AU$ 50 000+

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Henry Robertson",

Thank you for your response. It is nice to have someone who speciality is on this very topic, in this forum.

However, the topic that you responded to is more than a year old. It is safe to assume that the OP, had either already migrated or changed his mind. Please take this into account when answering topics in the future. Otherwise, it can be regarded as astroturfing -- advertising the site in your signature.... which hopefully, was not your intention.

Henry

Henry Robertson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Henry Wong

oh my!! I am so sorry Mr. i didn't notice the date it was posted. Next time I'll be more careful. And Thanks for the concern.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Sam,

The jobs market in Oz is very tightnow and I personally know many people who have recently lost their jobs. If you want to come to Oz, be prepare for tough times. Since you have kids, extra caution and big financial buffer is recommended. Also, Oz recruiters are very particualr about work culture and without a local degree and familiarity with local culture and slangs, find work might be difficult. Try to come as student and get accustomed with local environment and with Ozzy degree, you are same as anyone else.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch, Matt Charron

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Firstly I am not astroturfing. I do not have anything to advertise!!

I just hope the author of the thread is safe in Australia after the recent attacks

matt charron
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Vyas, take it easy. Indians are fine and happier in Oz and that is why they are here. indian media has highly exaggerated the events. Just count how many people are bash in Mumbai and Bangalore everyday and it would be much much less than in Oz.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Agree with Matt. Things are exaggerated. Aussie IT job market seems to be in a better shape than US and UK. The only thing is that many employers look for local experience. You also have to allow some time to settle in.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have been in Sydney, Australia for around 3 weeks now and have been searching the main job sites, seek.com.au, jseeker.com.au, careerone.com.au etc. for Java/JavaEE openings.

I have noticed most openings are just re-phrased by different agencies, hence the 'real' number of job postings on these websites is far fewer than the 'total' results.

Also, is the primary approach for finding Java openings just these websites or are there any other sources?

Any suggestions, pointers to approaching the local Java market in Australia would be highly appreciated...

Many Thanks in Advance...

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I have noticed most openings are just re-phrased by different agencies, hence the 'real' number of job postings on these websites is far fewer than the 'total' results.

Very true.

First jos is always the hardest in a new country, because of the "local experience". In addition to what you are doing, may I suggest you to try other avenues like

-- Volunteer Work (say 1-3 days a week). This will not only give you the much needed local experience, but also can open doors for paid work within the same organization or in other organizations via networking.

-- You can try to send unsolicited applications for paid or unpaid work. Especially smaller companies will be more interested.

You can read my articles under "Career Links:" at http://www.lulu.com/java-success for more information.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello.... everybody...

Please post your experiences through the process of finding java jobs in australia... i will also be moving there in sometime. People who are already there and looking for job can suggest me about what should i do prior to coming...For what should i be prepared for??

thanks arulk... your posts are always helpful...

Regards...

Honk if you love justice! And honk twice for tiny ads!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic