• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

customizing a JTable

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm looking for code examples which customize JTables in different ways. Is there any sites which has some examples like this?
Thanks,
Frank

Frank Hale
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well I did manage to find this site which has alot of useful JTable examples.
http://www2.gol.com/users/tame/swing/examples/SwingExamples.html
Have fun,
Frank

Frank Hale
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm still looking for an example which will demonstrates how to have rows that are automattically sized. Basically In my table I will have some cells which are multilined. I need all the text in this cell to be viewable, so each row quite possibly will have a different row height. How can this be done? Just think of the table which shows your new messages in Microsoft Outlook and you will understand what I am trying to achieve.
Thanks,
Frank

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Take a look at the examples that discuss setting the cell renderers. I did something similar by setting the cell renderer to a text area. Then you can iterate through the columns of that row asking the renderer for the size it would be and get the one with the largest height to set the rowHeight. For this to work you also have to set the column widths (another iteration of using some "reasonable" value or the column header width, whichever was larger) so the text area knows how to wrap. Sorry I don't have anything online to show you - I got all of this from the Java Swing forum and from a book: graphic Java 2 - Mastering the JFC by Geary (the Swing volume). Hope this makes sense enough to help!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Michelle,
I also encountered the same kinda problem. I tried doing what you said, but some if i have a small text the row height for that row is very large. And if i have a long text in my text area cell renderer then i the text in that cell is not showing up as multiline but only shows a part of the text in a single line, though the height is set as previous cell. I am kinda confused if my logic is any different.
Could you send me some code snippets regarding this like the cell renderer code and the iteration code.
really appreciate it,
Thanks
Jay

We don't have time to be charming! Quick, read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic