• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need job related advice (Java)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I have been offered a job in a large financial company as a java developer (One among ML, JP, Lehman, etc) in Mumbai, India.

I have 2 years experience and am working at a much smaller company but for a salary above the industry average (in mumbai atleast)

What i would like to ask is, that what should my salary expectations be over here? the salary negotiations are not yet completed, and i needed a figure to quote.

Also, how is working in these financial companies like? during the interview i was told that it would be a high pressure job with long hours, etc.
also, it might be core java only, so i might lose touch with newer enterprise technologies in java.

on the positive side, i would get a lot of finacial domain knowledge..

so i would love you hear your opinions on this...

Thanks
Francis

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
positives are

-- gain domain knowledge in finance
-- finance/insurance industry pay is better but expect you to work long hours
-- brand name will look good on your resume

negatives

-- you may lose touch withh enterprise java technologies
-- long hours

You need to weight out what you need.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Francis Dominic:

on the positive side, i would get a lot of finacial domain knowledge..

Don't even count on that

Work in these kind of companies is typically support / enhancement type, hardly a fresh development. This kind of work will hardly enhance your domain knowledge.

What you'll realistically get is good package, good infrastructure and a brand name which you can use later on....and though the trend is actually towards core java these days, it's quite unlikely that you'll get even a good enough exposure in core java as the Indian centers of these companies really get the most peripheral work and have to literally beg for projects from the parent company in US or elsewhere.
[ August 06, 2008: Message edited by: Sunit Gupta ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Certainly agree with Sunit Gupta.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I was previously with a financial firm and I would like to make a few statements about the same. The job description included maintenance and upgrade for the systems already in place. So I guess there was no ground-up development. One thing I felt a little disappointed with was as the firm was not looking for free-ware for development I would be more involved with third party software that were not as popular as their free-ware counterparts. As far as the domain knowledge is concerned it really did give me more insight into the financial domain and practices followed as well as experience on 3rd party frameworks. To elaborate how could anybody do any development, be it maintenance or upgrade on any software project without knowing the proper functionality? (I believe by knowing the functionality one becomes more aware of the domain as well.) Another way how the financial experience helped me was in the authenticity of my profile. You must certainly be aware that any financial firm is the one to run more stringent verification checks on its employees.

Cheers & Good luck,
Raj.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic