• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Other Reviews for new book: Java Tools for Extreme Programming (Ant, JUnit, etc.)

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Reviews

Review from JavaPro

"This book is the first of its kind, covering topics that haven't been explored this directly anywhere. It does a remarkable job, covering not just the tools but the philosophy behind good unit tests and frequent, automated builds...." ... ... "The philosophy behind this material is modern and forward thinking. ... (The book has the ) potential to make you a better programmer and better able to deliver higher-quality code on a shorter timeline. "

--Claude Duguay
Check out the full review at

full review from JavaPro

Review from JavaRanch

"...This book is a fine introduction to a whole bunch of really useful tools to boost your Java and especially J2EE programming.... This book was almost too useful to review. ... If you want to get up to speed quickly and practically on a load of useful, powerful, tools - get this book. Everyone I've shown it to has wanted their own copy ... "

--Frank Carver
Check out the full review at full review at JavaRanch
This review became book review of the month!

XProgramming.com

"This book should appeal to XPers and non-XPers alike who recognize that automated testing and continuous integration are good things for any project." ... ... "The book is a good introduction for the uninitiated and a valuable reference for those plying their trade with these tools. Don't miss an opportunity to easily automate your Java project and spend more time delivering business value!"

--Mike Clark
Check out the full review at
full review at XProgramming.com

---------------------------------
Book Description
The book contains small examples and tutorials on each tool. The examples cover building, deploying, and testing Java and J2EE applications.
In addition to small examples, there are larger case studies. The case studies are larger more realistic examples. We have case studies involving XSLT, EJB, Struts, JDBC, etc.
Each case study is complete with an ant build script and several tests, written with JUnit, HttpUnit, Cactus, JUnitPerf and/or JMeter. The case studies focus on building, deploying and testing J2EE applications with Ant and JUnit.
There is also a reference section for APIs. Instead of rehashing the API documentation, the reference section has example usage, i.e., code examples for the important classes and methods.
Although this book speaks from an XP perspective, you need not practice XP to benefit from it. For example, you do not have to adopt the entire XP methodology to get value out of this book. Automated testing, for example, can help you refactor code regardless of whether you are doing pair programming or not. Continuous integration can help you detect and fix problems early in the lifecycle of the system regardless of whether your customer is on site or not.

Rick Hightower
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I have been struggling with turning XP methodology into a solid development process. We've had some success at my company but most times we've met frustrations primarily because we were trying to teach old tools new tricks.
(J)ava Tools for XP has made a big difference for us. My team has been able to use the tools described in this book to actually DO unit testing, and we've already automated a significant portion of our testing and deployment processes. Its also let us make a good case for open source tools at my company.

--Ken Davies
this is one of my favorite reviews on Amazon

Rick Hightower
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This book does a great job of explaining how to use each of the tools but what I really appreciate is that it shows you how to use the tools together....
This book really works to extend XP concepts found in other books...
This book helped me see how to use a group of tools together to build great XP tests for my Web apps. Thank you!

--John Costus (Amazon reviewer)
From Nick and I you are welcome... glad you liked the book.
This book was really fun to write.

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rick, I was just wondering... did you get permission from the authors of those reviews to post them here?

Did Steve tell you that? Fuh - Steve. Just look at this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic