• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I enter a password into a JPasswordField, but nothing happens??

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi guys,
I have to include a password for the program I'm writing. So I decided to include a JPasswordField within the Main Class. Don't worry about the password itself (as in its security) or the user names, becuase it's part of a GUI, so it's all "faked".
I'm posting my code for this class, I hope somebody can point out what I'm doing wrong, or how I should do it. Thanks!

Fernando Sanz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I've changed a line to this:

and now it works. Still, I don't understand why it didn't work before, anyone?

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It didn't work before because getPassword() returns an array of characters (char[])... you can create a String from an array of characters with new String( char[] ), but if you say char[].toString(), you will get back a String representation of the array reference... something that looks like "[C@1774b9b".

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
most of the java APIs have started using array of chars instead of String objects whenever security is concerned. If you look at the javax.crypto and java.security packages, many of those methods are the same. The reason (as I remember/interpret it) is that Strings are interned and more prone to security problems than an array of chars that will be garbage collected.
If you were actually using the password, the return type of char[] can be sent directly as the parameter to unlock a private key and other methods, no String needed.

Fernando Sanz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Nate for helping me understand it, I appreciate it, cause even though it was working, I was still thinking about it
Jon: ok, so no more Strings anymore I guess that if the program was going to use passwords for real, I'd look more into it, but I was just trying to get a password in the GUI. Thanks.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic