• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JScrollPane in a GridBagLayout cell

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am using GridBagLayout. JButton-1 is in cell (0,0) and JButton-2 is in cell (1,0). JTable is in cells (0,1) and (1,1).

When wrap the JTable in a JScrollPane, the layout manager moves the JTable.

Why doesn�t the JTable stay in the second row when I use JScrollPane?

blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Marlene Miller:

Why doesn�t the JTable stay in the second row when I use JScrollPane?

Because it's the (play Twilight Zone music) GridBagZone.

No, seriously, it's because while you set the grid bag constraints for the JTable, you're not actually putting the JTable in the JPanel; you're actually putting the JScrollPane in the JPanel. Try setting the grid bag constraints on the JScrollPane instead of on the JTable.

Warren Dew
blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oops, I just realized that might have been a homework problem, for which we're not supposed to give direct answers. So if it was, please read the following so that you learn something to replace the learning opportunity I accidentally took away from you:

Even though you probably stared at this for a while without seeing it, notice that a second set of eyes spotted it pretty quick (on the first reading of the document, in fact). The lesson to be learned is that code reviews by another programmer are a good way to spot bugs. There, I feel less guilty now.

If you're actually working on production code, you can ignore the above.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Even if it was a homework assignment, I see nothing wrong with the answer you gave Warren. Marlene obviously tried to solve the problem but was stuck. Now if Marlene had said:

Can someone show me how to put a JTable in a ScrollPane on a JPanel using GridBagLayout? Some source code would be nice.

Then we would have a problem.

Marlene Miller
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
>> No, seriously, it's because while you set the grid bag constraints for the JTable, you're not actually putting the JTable in the JPanel; you're actually putting the JScrollPane in the JPanel.

Thank you very much. I understand.

>> Try setting the grid bag constraints on the JScrollPane instead of on the JTable.

Yes, that works.

>> Oops, I just realized that might have been a homework problem, for which we're not supposed to give direct answers.

I�ve been following the posts on the SCJD forum. I have not downloaded an assignment, because I don�t know enough. But I wrote a simple solution, so that I can understand the issues. Now I want to test it. Since I don�t have the database file provided by SUN, I have to make one and fill it. For this purpose, I am writing a utility with a GUI interface. One JTable will be for the metadata, another JTable for the data.

So I guess, in some sense, it is a homework assignment. I am a student without a teacher. It is related to the SCJD assignment, but it seems like a generic utility.

>> So if it was, please read the following so that you learn something to replace the learning opportunity I accidentally took away from you:

>> Even though you probably stared at this for a while without seeing it, notice that a second set of eyes spotted it pretty quick (on the first reading of the document, in fact). The lesson to be learned is that code reviews by another programmer are a good way to spot bugs. There, I feel less guilty now.

Thank you for the advice.

Marlene

Marlene Miller
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
>> Marlene obviously tried to solve the problem but was stuck.

Yes, I was stuck. It's embarassing. The mistake is obvious. I gave up too soon. I decided it was some mysterious property of GridBagLayout.

It looks sort of like a school problem. That's because I extracted the essential parts and reduced them to the smallest thing that doesn't work. But somehow I didn't do/think enough.
[ September 15, 2004: Message edited by: Marlene Miller ]

Warren Dew
blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Marlene Miller:

Yes, I was stuck. It's embarassing. The mistake is obvious.

95% of bugs are, once you find them. My last three bugs all involved typing '>' when I meant '<' or vice versa.

And I'd like to note that your original post stated the problem very clearly, and the code provided was very legible, making it a pleasure to help. I wish everyone asking questions on this site could be so clear.
[ September 15, 2004: Message edited by: Warren Dew ]

Marlene Miller
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Warren.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic