• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Advice any good forum or else

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
Am looking for any forum or websites where i can take up small projects and if somethings come up in between i can ask the people out there. Actually in my company most of the work is like maintenance and enhancement work ,so deals with rarely with enhancement and coding.that once or twice in a month, so i don't want to loose my skills as i have already forgotten some of the things. Thats why am looking for such website or any forums you may advice where i can do something and moreover learn and refine my knowledge in Java/J2ee domain. I went to some websites with open source but i guess they require more experienced guys and as am just starting my career since last 1.8 years so am looking a website which may have projects from beginners to expert level. So that involving in them would fetch me good knowledge and expertise which i'am missing in my present company and this is a hurdle for getting in other companies as no good work exp i/m getting here. I'm learning all the things on my own like JSP,Servlets,AJAX,EJB,Core Java but as their implementation here is too less and moreover it rarely go that much into depth. Moreover am forgetting things which are not in touch, then again have to see them... I guess you may have got an idea what i'm trying to convey. If anyone of you is aware of such forums and websites please inform me here, so that i may not left out in technology and skills in this java world.. Once i have good idea of all by involving into projects here i would jump to some good development company..

Thanks you all in advance. Awating for your responses...
[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: pranav bhatt ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If you are really keen on development projects, express your concerns with your supervisor and ask for a position in development. If that's not possible in the short to medium term, you may want to consider a job switch to an organization that's ready to match your interests and expectations.

Do a couple of diagnostic interviews with a couple of companies,you are not serious about joining.That will help you assess the knowledge gaps you are having.You can then work towards filling them up.

Don't be too worried about losing touch with those J2EE technologies,as long as you have your Core Java skills strong.After all J2EE technologies are implemented in Core Java.So I'd suggest you strengthen your Core Java fundamentals and try mastering some of the advanced features of the language viz. Synchronization, RMI etc including design methodologies and patterns. Also consider learning Resource pooling (viz Connection/Thread pooling) etc.

Finally,build some data structure and algorithm design capabilities alongside the above stuff.

For all of the above,do some smart googling..You'll come across a host of useful links to excellent contents. Once you are there, the rest is just cakewalk ..enjoy
[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: san ban ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic