• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EXPOSED !!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The Javaranch police today unearthed sensational evidence unmasking those who have terrorized the Javaranch community with their merciless humour. The investigations were led by their brilliant Sheriff Angela Poyton, who has been nominated for the JRanch Meritorious Service Award. More details may be found here:-
http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000553.html http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000530.html http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000558.html http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000554.html
Reactions in the Javaranch community were mixed. There were those who expressed relief. Others were shocked that it was an inside job. One of the perpetrators was a Sheriff herself. The general consensus was that the culprits be tickled to death. However the anti-death penalty lobby wanted them to be sentenced to a life of rigorous laughter.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sahir has pleaded his case and despite the evidence I had against him, which proved to be circumstantial and had potentially been tampered with I have found him NOT GUILTY of being Johnson Chongson ... so who then is the mysterious impersonator of our favourite Philospher?

Rahul Rathore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Angela, I presume that you stick to your other adverse finding regarding a former KGB agent (laid off when Soviet bubble burst), and now a Sheriff.
Chongites among the JRanchers were particularly shocked to here that their leader was a Russian.
A prayer ceremony will be conducted for the suffering Chongites, by Father Johnson Chongson who narrowly escaped being defrocked.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Owwwww. My head hurts. Mapraputa is not Mapraputa and is really Johnson Chong. So who is Johnson Chong ? And who is the fiendishly clever Johnson Chongson who left a trail of red herrings that caused the finger of suspicion to point at the blameless and innocent Sahir? Who is the Master ? Who is the Wizard ? Who is Ima Saint ? Is this a conspiracy? The plot thickens, the mystery deepens.
I have also been privately accused of being Rahul , Jerry Pulley (who is Jerry Pulley? maybe he is behind all this), Joseph Russel etc etc. Since I have been cleared of all charges, I take this opportunity to go on record as saying "No comments".

[This message has been edited by Sahir Shibley (edited May 21, 2001).]

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just want to point out that I am not Johnson Chong.
[This message has been edited by Johnson Chong (edited May 21, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Maybe Sybil (sp?...the lady that had 16 personalities) has become a programmer? Maybe this is the product of one of her offspring?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Who cares who any of these chong characters are. They are boring and have no originality. "May i know how to learn how to talk like a normal peron" is what they should say.

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey, what's going on? Chongson can edit our messages??? Oh, I see, it's not Chongson, it's Chong... Gosh, it's getting really complicated...
[This message has been edited by Mapraputa Is (edited May 21, 2001).]

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mapraputa is not Mapraputa and is really Johnson Chong.
Sahir, please, next time when posting, pay attention to words. Angela never said that �Mapraputa� is Johnson Chong, she said �Mapasutra Is is Johnson Chong� I can understand that you are hurt being accused by Angela, but why accuse others?
The same to Rahul.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mapraputa Is:
Mapraputa is not Mapraputa and is really Johnson Chong. Angela never said that �Mapraputa� is Johnson Chong, she said �Mapasutra Is is Johnson Chong�

Sounds like things are turning into a real jamboree. I KNOW WHO JOHNSON CHONGSON IS!!!
IT IS:
[This message has been edited by Johnson Chongson (edited May 21, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well, it should be pretty obvious that this Chongson character is a bartender/sheriff of some sort because s/he can edit other's messages...
btw, who is this Ima Saint that posted a message to me earlier? i haven't heard a reply yet.
oh yea, what happened to the Java Script post to JC last night... you know, the one that changes on "mouseMotion"...

Rahul Rathore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I am slow on the uptake. Not being a mensan. But here's my deduction.
Johnson Chong is most probably Thomas Paul but it could be Mapraputa or some Bartender or Sheriff.
Johnson Chongson is most probably Nanjangud Nan. but it could be some Bartender or some Sheriff.
Which just shows how deep the rot goes. The evil is firmly rooted in the ruling classes.
At least, we the humble Jranchers can hold are heads high. All that malicious finger pointing is nothing but the policy of divide and rule followed by the ruling mafia.

Rahul Rathore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Andy Ceponis:
Who cares who any of these chong characters are. They are boring and have no originality. "May i know how to learn how to talk like a normal peron" is what they should say.

I agree. Also they are downright wierd. One moment they are spouting pseudo-philosphy. The next moment they are chasing women in uniform. http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000558.html
It sets a bad example for the younger generation.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How many "most probably"s can there be???
I, too, am not Johnson Chong or his son, which brings us to the REAL question... don't we ALL have the right to be Johnson Chong???
-----------------------------------
I'm a soldier in the Chongson wars...
Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel Cochran (edited May 21, 2001).]

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rahul Rathore:
Johnson Chong is most probably Thomas Paul but it could be Mapraputa or some Bartender or Sheriff.

That is what you want us to think, Rahul. But I have proof about the real identity of Johnson Chong. He really is ************.
[This message has been edited by Rahul Rathore (edited May 21, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am also not Johnson Chongson.
Errr, at least I'm pretty sure I'm not. If I was do think I'd know?
Maybe it's a subconscious thing and I really am but don't know that I am.
OH MY!!! I guess I could be.... that would explain all of those blackouts.
off to see the shrink now....
Dave

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Andy Ceponis:

Now why should Johnson Chong learn to talk like Eva Peron? Do you mean he should speak in Spanish?

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rahul, Bartenders cannot edit posts unless they moderate this particular forum. So neither Thomas nor Mapraputa are guilty. Now only Sheriffs are under suspicions. The only logical conclusion, I can make:
ANGELA IS JOHNSON CHONG! JOHNSON CHONG IS ANGELA!

Joseph Russell
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Angela is probably the least likely and it isn't too dificult for anyone to make it look like their message has been edited.
[This message has not been edited by Johnson Chong (edited May 21, 2001).]
So, looks like the philosopher has turned criminal? Maybe Chong is like the Unibomber...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think I am Johnson Chong. Maybe I am Thomas Paul? But that doesn't seem to fit either. I am feeling a bit violated at the moment...

Nanjangud Nanjundaiah
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Johnson Chongson is most probably Nanjangud Nan.

May I know what makes you think so?

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm fairly certain that Octavyn is not me.
[This message has been edited by a herd of angry antelopes (edited May 21, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Guys,
Why is everyone so concerned about unmasking Johnson Chong and why this sudden surge of excitement at someone claiming to have ensnared the REAL Johnson Chong. Mapraputa seems to be unduely hurt by Angela's allegation and there she goes to the roof-top and yells at the top of her voice. Peace seems to have made a quiet exit from the ranch. Rahul inspite of all your legal-hawk credentials you haven't hit the nail on the head yet.
-EB.

Rahul Rathore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Eager Beaver:

Rahul inspite of all your legal-hawk credentials you haven't hit the nail on the head yet.
-EB.

Well I did hit the nail in MY head ! and it hurts !
I never felt so dumb before. And I love it.
But one thing I am certain is that the baddies belongs to the ruling classes. A bare reading of the various posts, even within this very thread, leaves no doubt about it. Map has expressed the same opinion often in this and other threads, and she should know since she is one of THEM. I also noticed a post of Thomas Paul (later deleted I think) in which he drew a righteous distinction between the Chong posts and other impersonations. The former he claimed were harmless, the latter he implied are evil. Now why is Chong holier than thou? -suspicious! Also Angela has admitted that poor Sahir's IP was tampered with to falsely implicate him as Chong. And only a high-up could spy and tamper with the IDs . Even Map admits in another thread, that the baddie has access to Moderators forum. Actually Angela's sudden turnaround in her accusations against Sahir are revealing. Obviously she was later informed of the TRUTH, in the secret exchanges that the ruling clique engages in.
I have come to the sad conclusion that we the ordinary subjects, are mere playthings in the hands of the malicious ruling classes who gleefully exploit us for their laughs. I am sure they will rot in Hell or be reborn as a cockroach.

Originally posted by Eager Beaver:

Peace seems to have made a quiet exit from the ranch.

Hey this is meaningless drivel. We THRIVE on such excitement. Peace is BORING.

Originally posted by Joel Cochran
don't we ALL have the right to be Johnson Chong???

Actually no. Only the one - the first to register gets the name. Also notice the potential for mischief. Poor Sahir was publicly accused of cheating on his wife, because this somebody unknown decided to flirt with the Iron woman of JRanch, spoofing Sahir's ID. What if he next makes some embarrassing/offensive remark and implicates another.
Also, we ALL have the right to enjoy the game of unmasking him. Lady Angela took the lead. I am playing "follow the leader". Though I admit it gets boring after some time. So lets think of another game to play. Maybe we could retaliate against the ruling class. Sounds boring ? So lets sponsor Andy here: http://www.javaranch.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000567.html WHERE ARE YOU IMA SAINT ???

[This message has been edited by Rahul Rathore (edited May 22, 2001).]

Eager Beaver
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I have come to the sad conclusion that we the ordinary subjects, are mere playthings in the hands of the malicious ruling classes who gleefully exploit us for their laughs. I am sure they will rot in Hell or be reborn as a cockroach

A clarion call to all the non-ruling class comrades...
' Non-ruling class ranchers of the world UNITE '
-EB.

[This message has been edited by Eager Beaver (edited May 22, 2001).]

Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK ... WOW I didn't expect so much interest into my investigation.
1. I still don't know who Johnson Chong & Johnson Chongson are. I was never informed. I aquitted Shair because I was informed by expert witnesses that there was indeed potential for Sahir's IP address to be copied and used to frame him. Therefore for now the investigation continues.
2. I have established that one or more of the following must be true:
a) Whoever is Johnson Chongson accesses the web through the same Proxy Server as Sahir. (i.e. works at the same place)
b) Johnson Chongson is a Sheriff. (I can pretty much eliminate most Bartenders because they can only view IP addresses from their own forum .. and this is MY forum ...)
However this is not my primary investigation. What I really want to know is ... who is the person impersonating registered users using the unregistered facility? Nobody is in trouble. I'd just like to know... plus it's a challenge.
One thing I DO know for sure ... I am not Johnson Chong, or Chongson or anyone else for that matter! You'll have to take my word for that!
The investigation continues, all assitance appreciated. Be aware though .. you are all under suspicion
[This message has been edited by Angela Poynton (edited May 22, 2001).]

Rahul Rathore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Heil Angela
So no clues about the Master Johnson Chong (not Chongson) !
The perfect crime - right here on JRanch

Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh the clues are there I'm sure ... I just need to find em. Give me a few days.

Sahir Shibley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Of course Sahir is excluded from all this. Because you cant be tried twice for the same crime.

[This message has been edited by Sahir Shibley (edited May 22, 2001).]

Greg Harris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey, i just realized that i am never around when Johnson Chong makes a post...
or, he is never around when i make a post...

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

2. I have established that one or more of the following must be true:
a) Whoever is Johnson Chongson accesses the web through the same Proxy Server as Sahir. (i.e. works at the same place)
b) Johnson Chongson is a Sheriff. (I can pretty much eliminate most Bartenders because they can only view IP addresses from their own forum .. and this is MY forum ...)

Both these seem uncertain to me. As Sahir pointed out, it's also possible to spoof (forge) an IP server address from anywhere if you know what you're doing. An even without intentional forging, it's probably not necessary to work at the same place. It depends on how exactly you are connected to the internet - if you use a dial-up ISP, then being in the same city is probably enough.
As for the second point, Joseph Russell already pointed out that it's easy to make your own post look like it's been edited by someone else. Thomas did it first, and others copied the idea. Note that Thomas' last post is much less subtle, since so many others are now participating in the same joke. Edited by a herd of angry antelope? And note that Map evidently didn't catch on to the trick at first, but later did, and decided to participate.
Of course, some may figure that I'm just saying this to allay suspicion from myself, since as a fellow Sheriff I'm an obvious suspect. But the thing is, if you have Sheriff powers and can edit anyon'es post in any forum, create and delete users at will, and alter their posting permissions, then it's really not particularly challenging to screw with everyone's heads like this. It would simply be a childish display of power, in my opinion. Which is why I personally wouldn't do it. On the other hand, Bartenders are much more limited outside their own forums, so it is a worthwhile challenge for the bartenders to participate in this kind of mindgame. E.g. Thomas' trick above was quite clever, and didn't take advantaqge of any special privileges has has, and I commend him for originality in finding ways to confuse people.
So, what are the possibilities for Johnson Chongson? He could still be Sahir. (I don't think it fits what I know of Sahir's personality, but it's still possible.) He could be a co-worker or someone who shares an ISP by coincidence. Or Sahir could be being framed by someone who knows how to forge IP addresses. This would require that the framer know Sahir's IP addresses - but that doesn't require a Shreiff necessarily. A Bartender can do it if Sahir posts in their forum as well as Meaningless Drivel. Or if the culprit has ever received e-mail from Sahir, they could probably get IP addresses from that. Or they could go to Sahir's profile to learn his work e-mail address, and then use other techniques (like whois or nslookup) to learn the IP address associated with that domain.
Incidentally I also was looking up IP addresses to track Chongson, but I didn't come across any that matched Sahir's address. But I only checked Sahir a couple of times; probably I just missed the particular posts which had matching IPs. I did find that many of the imposter postings using unregistered accounts seemed to come from the same IP as Chongson usually used. But not all - and I'm pretty sure there are other people participating in the mindgames at this point. As all the "edited by" posts above have already shown.
[This message has been edited by Jim Yingst (edited May 22, 2001).]

Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jim,
You are reading my mind! I'll need to complete this investigation at another time though!

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't think of a single way for bartender's to do the things done here. Nope, it must be a sheriff!
[This message will be edited by Johnson Chong (June 3, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Thomas Paul (edited May 23, 2001).]

Joseph Russell
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anybody wanna peanut?

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I also noticed a post of Thomas Paul (later deleted I think) in which he drew a righteous distinction between the Chong posts and other impersonations.

Two points:
1) There is a distinction between someone posting as Johnson Chong and someone attempting to impersonate a real person here. The Chong thing is actually pretty funny, IMHO.
2) I posted that message because somone impersonated me. But I found out who did it and the person who did it explained why and their reason was sufficient for me to take it as the joke it was meant to be. IOW, I decided to forget the whole thing.

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Joseph Russell:
Anybody wanna peanut?

Ummmm... peanuts!

Rahul Rathore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot Jim and Thomas. Very educative.
Just one problem. NOW I AM TERRIFIED. You just revealed the nuke design to potential terrorists.

[This message has been edited by Rahul Rathore (edited May 22, 2001).]

Greg Harris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Joseph Russell:
Anybody wanna peanut?

No more rhymes and i mean it!

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And note that Map evidently didn't catch on to the trick at first, but later did, and decided to participate.
Great. Jim you take evidence for reality too easy. Perhaps this is why you cannot figure out what�s going on here even with your Sheriff�s omnipotence.
Maybe you think that my post where I accused Angela in being Chongson also happened because Map didn't catch on something? Maybe you think that Map truly believes that Angela=Chong[son]? Maybe you think that Map truly believes that Chong[son] can edit everyone�s posts?
Thanks for your great joke, Thomas!
But the thing is, if you have Sheriff powers and can edit anyon'es post in any forum, create and delete users at will, and alter their posting permissions, then it's really not particularly challenging to screw with everyone's heads like this.
It is understandable that you want to allay suspicion from yourself, that�s probably why your sentences do not make sense. �if you have Sheriff powers and can edit anyon'es post in any forum� � and leave �this post has been edited by Jim� track? Just to confuse everybody
�create and delete users at will� � I thought any greenhorn can �create users�... Not sure they can delete users, here you are right. Do we have somebody who was deleted in this forum? Anybody, attention please! If you were deleted by any of this persons, tell it now!
1) Johnson Chong
2) Johnson Chongson
3) any of unregistered users
We are waiting for your response.
On the other hand, Bartenders are much more limited outside their own forums, so it is a worthwhile challenge for the bartenders to participate in this kind of mindgame.
What are limitations? Enlighten me.
Of course, now you can tell: �Map, why you become so emotional over this little thing? Because YOU are Chong[son], right?� but I hope you do not enjoy easy �obvious� answers. At least, I hope you do not enjoy them too long. Thanks for your attention.

Joseph Russell
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My only question is why did Rahul Rathore all of a sudden come on the scene? I don't remember Rahul hanging out in Drivel Town before now. Maybe I'm wrong and just missed some of his meaningless responses or posts. It seems wierd that he shows up in here and starts the whole discussion about Chong. Kinda odd of you ask me...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic