• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

can COM port be accessed through servlets/applets?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi
Is it possible to read and write to com port though servlet or applets.
The scenario is to write files directly from the intranet server to the com port(mobile phones).
any help will be very great. If yes can someone plz tell me how with an example code or reference.
Thanks alot & best regards
Gul

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are working from mobile phones, why aren't you using J2ME? Through J2ME you have your HTTPConnection object to communicate with a Servlet, and receive responses back from it.
Mark

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Servlets can write to ports using the COMM API, but imagine the confusion if more than one request wanted the same port! Plain applets are prevented from using the COMM API by the security manager, you would have to have a signed applet. Maybe its time to re-think the architecture?
Bill

Gul Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks guys.. i think it really is time to rethink the architechure. my client wanted his website, which has ringtones etc, to write directly to the mobile phone rather than storing it on the pc and than using the mobile's utility to copy it to phone.
I think it would be more feasible and easier to download the stuff to the computer!

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can still use the cell phone to connect to download the ring to the phone directly using J2ME. I am pretty sure.
In J2ME you can use all the Connection objects. Sockets and through URLs. This would be the easiest and best in my opinion.
Well, the only problem here, come to think of it, is that this application that is made using J2ME needs to be installed on the cell phone.
Mark

Gul Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
exactly!
the point is to just plug in the phone and download it.I just realized that the folders on the phone are visible in the windows explorer the way we can explore the cd-rom etc, once the cable is connected.
so on the application part there is nothing to do, when for downloading the save option pops up the user can just explore to the required directory and let the pc download directly to that.
guess that was pretty easy for now, hope i dont run into some new problem with that & thanks for replying to the post
Cheers and regards
Gul
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic