• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

weird problem with hash table

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there
I'm having a problem with a hashtable. I use an object called ClientKey as my key value, and this object called Message as my value.
So, i create an object called clientkey and put that in the hashtable with a Message object for it's value. Now, if i check to see that the key i just added is still in there i use hashTable's "containsKey()" function and it tells me that the key and it's value are in there.
So, here's my problem. I put in a key and a value, but then later on, i create a new key and then try to look it up to see if it's in the hashtable. This should return me true when i call "containsKey()" but it doesn't. If i get an enumeration of all the keys from the hashtable and then compare each to the key that i've created i will get a match, but for some reason "containsKey" returns false.
Can anyone give some advice?
Thanks
Desmond

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Perhaps you didn't write an equals(Object) and hashCode() method for your ClientKey class. That would give the behavior I think you described.
You are in luck. There is a article on this in this month's JavaRanch newsletter, accessible via www.javaranch.com.

desmond60 wwkk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi John
Our ClientKey had a equals method but no hashcode. ONce that was put in things seemed to work.
Thanks for the help
Desmond

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You've learned an important lesson. NEVER override equals() without supplying a compatible hashCode() function.

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's important to realize that HashMap and HashSet use the hash method to determine position within the hash object. Failure to override them may mean that your object can't be found in the hash object.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic