• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Crystal Reports and Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am looking for documentation of how to integrate crystal reports with Java. Can anyone help me regarding this. I am developing an application using jdk, swing, oracle database..

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The short answer: You can't.
The long answer: You can, but it's a pain, and I would suggest trying to write reports in Jasper Reports or some other Java-based reporting tool.
If you (or your boss) insist on Crystal, you will need to write C functions accessing Crystal's C API and then wrapping that in a JNI shell. This is not an easy task. Oh, and the CRPE API is no longer supported -- use the newer API -- although the newer API may not work for desktop-based applications.
Crystal does have a Java API, but that's only if you use their Crystal Reports Server in a distributed environment. You can't use it with Java in Swing apps.
IN short, Crystal seems to be pusing its reports as web-based reports instead of desktop-based reports. Support for the desktop-reporting is dwindling at Crystal. Unless your reports are already written, I urrge you to look at other reporting solutions. And even if they are already written, it may be easier to re-write them rather than trying to integrate Crystal. (I had Crystal integraed, but then it broke for some reason Instead of fixing it, I switched to Jasper reports....)

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic