• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Casting Around In Generics

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've been working with Java 5.0 generics for awhile, but am not sure about a casting issue.

Consider the following code:

Since Foo implements FooI, I can cast a FooI reference to a Foo object reference. However, the following implementation of Foo will not work:

The compiler complains that we cannot convert from List<FooI> to List<Foo>.

However, if we iterate across the List of FooI, we can cast each member to a Foo, as in:

Call me dense, but I'm not sure why I can't cast from a List<FooI> to a List<Foo> if I can cast each member of the list to the other type?

Thanks for getting me back on track.
[ April 20, 2006: Message edited by: Jack J. Jackson ]

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A List<Fool> could validly contain instances of Foo2, Foo3, etc -- other classes that also implement Fool. If the cast were to succeed, then have to get errors later on, where they'd be unexpected. If things worked that way, then any call to get(i) (for example) on a List<Foo> could throw a ClassCastException -- not a pretty prospect. Therefore, by definition, a List<Fool> can't be cast to a List<Foo>, nor vice-versa.

In a way, this is an attempt to make up for they mistake they made when they defined an inheritance relationship between Java array types. This is legal (but disastrous!)

String[] foo = {"a", "b", "c"};
Object[] bar = foo;
bar[0] = new Integer(3); // ArrayStoreException!

Jack J. Jackson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry to be so late in thanking you for the response.

I understand the reason you offered, but will have to mark this as a language behavior to know, but not necessarily like.

The argument that a ClassCastException could occur later when accessing the (improperly) cast list makes sense, but it's in the nature of downcasting that the developer is assuming responsibility that the cast is semantically valid after the compiler ensures it is syntactically valid.

So, we say the following cast isn't valid since a later access of list could cause an unexpected ClassCastException...

However, the same unexpected ClassCastException could occur even without the list cast:

However, I take your point that if I call the get() on a List<Foo>, I really expect only Foo object references will be in there, whereas calling the get() on a List<FooI> provides less certainty as to what the "true object at hand" really is.

Thanks again!
[ June 22, 2006: Message edited by: Jack J. Jackson ]

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Since Foo implements FooI, I can cast a FooI reference to a Foo object reference.

Sure you can. But that might throw a ClassCastException, because the FooI reference might be to a FooBar object that isn't a subclass of Foo. And since the main point of Generics is to prevent ClassCastExceptions by compile-time analysis, you get the message that the cast is unsafe.

Call me dense, but I'm not sure why I can't cast from a List<FooI> to a List<Foo> if I can cast each member of the list to the other type?

Okay, you asked for it. You're dense You can't cast each member of the list to the other type.

You guys haven't done this much, have ya? I suggest you study this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic