• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

send email using Domino servers

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ,
i need to make an application that will use domino server to send automatic emails to customers
could someboby guide me on how to go about it?
i know a little bit about java mail api but noting about domino servers as such.
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, it depends. There are at least two options.

Using standard smtp (you can use for example javamail in this case). But then the smtp service has to be activated on the Domino server (maybe it already is).

Using the Domino specific solution, the Lotus Domino Toolkit for Java/Corba. This is a specific library to connect to the Domino server (and allows much more than just sending mails), it is powerful, but sometimes rather awkward to use. For this to work, the DIIOP service must be activated on the Domino server (which is probably not yet done).

prakash chauhan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi bart.
thanks for the reply..
if i have an account in lotes notes ,
can't i use my credentials to send email from my application?
i apologize if it sounds stupid..i am yet to get to know the mail api or how it works..
thanks for the help

bart zagers
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

You have to decide first what you want. A general simple way to send mails (using javamail/smtp) or a more complex, more powerful Lotus Domino way using the mentioned toolkit. Do you also want to read mails or manipulate mails in an mailbox?

It is not very difficult to send mails using smtp and the javamail API, in another thread I found this link with some explanation. This option has (almost) nothing to do with Lotus Domino at all, the only thing you need is an smtp server, but this is for the system admin to setup and configure, you only need an ip-address/port (and maybe username/password). (Another way is looking at Apache Commons Mail, which even simplifies working with the javamail API).

Working "the Domino way" gives you a lot of power (programmatically moves mails to different folders, adding properties to mails...) but is a lot more difficult to do. This has nothing to do anymore with the javamail API, but all with the toolkit.

I guess you want the first thing. In that case, read up on the javamail api and talk to your system admin about smtp. Sending a mail will only be a few lines of code in that case.

prakash chauhan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi,
thanks for the reply..
yeah i dont need any kind of manipulations at all , i just need to send out kind of reminders when ever required.
I ll get in touch with the admin to find out whats the smtp server name.
Thanks for guiding.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic