• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Under the gun

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I just came to this site today from a link on Marcus Green's site. I've been hacking around Java for a little over 8 months now, and my manager has just informed me that he wants me to get my Java Programmer's certification in 3 weeks. Hopefully with the help of the Java Ranch and the Sybex "Complete Java 2 Certification" study guide I'll be ready.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
3 weeks is a pretty tight deadline. I had been playing with Java for about 6 months, but when I started studying for the exam, I took 3 months out to study. When you play with the language, you don't usually learn all the finer details like what happens when you do an unsigned right shift on a negative number by 33 as opposed to 32.
Good luck to you. I would recommend two things. Do as many mocks as you can and go over to the certification forums and feel comfortable that you can answer 95% of those questions. That is how I knew I was well prepared.

Bill
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic