• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Another CLASSPATH problem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I've been cruising along nicely until I tried creating my first package. I'm working out of chapter 5 in Thinking in Java and I'm having the following problem.
First, the preliminaries... I'm working on Windows 95 using JDK 1.3. My CLASSPATH is:
SET CLASSPATH=.;C:\jdk1.3\bin;C:\javaprog;C:\javaprog\javaranchcommon.zip;
In my javaprog directory I have the following file:

In the c:\javaprog\mypackage folder I have the following file

MyClass.java compiles fine, but I get the following error when I compile PackTest.java:
[Windows 95] C:\javaprog>javac PackTest.java
PackTest.java:6: cannot access MyClass
bad class file: .\MyClass.class
class file contains wrong class: mypackage.MyClass
Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of the classpa
th.
new MyClass() ;
^
1 error
I have things setup the same way on a Win 2K system and it works fine, but I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't work on my home Win 95 system.
I have a suspicion that the solution to this is staring me in the face, but I'm not seeing it. I would appreciate any insight anyone here could offer.
Thanks in advance,
Pat B.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well im no expert on 95 or anything, since all i use is 2k. But i think this may have something to do with your prob.
SET CLASSPATH=.;C:\jdk1.3\bin;C:\javaprog;C:\javaprog\javaranchcommon.zip;
Ok, so thats your path. But later on you say that your package is in c:\javaprog\mypackage.
Now im not sure on this, but shouldnt you include the /mypackage directory in your classpath?

Pat Barrett
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply Andy,
Your answer wasn't the right one, but it got me to realize what the problem actually was. Before I got to the part in the TIJ book about saving all your package files in their own directory I had originally saved and compiled myClass in the javaprog directory. Later, I added the mypackage directory and rather than moving the file I copied it, leaving a different version of myClass in the javaprog directory. Since the CLASSPATH just provides a starting point for the compiler to look for the necessary packages it was hitting my original myClass, which was the cause of the error.
I hate to admit such a mindless error, but hopefully this will help someone else down the road.
Thanks again,
Pat B.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic