• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Accessing JDK1.3.1 folder from the DOS root directory

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I tried accessing the JDK1.3.1 folder from the MS-DOS Prompt root directory ("C: ")by issuing the command "cd jdk1.3.1" and it says invalid directory. I am using Microsoft XP OS. Any clue?
Thanks...

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is provbably telling you that whatever program you are running (command prompt, etc.) is currently at a different "current working directory".
Try:
cd \JDK1.3.1
instead.

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Jessica"-
Welcome to the JavaRanch! Please adjust your displayed name to match the JavaRanch Naming Policy.
You can change it here.
Thanks! and again welcome to the JavaRanch!
PS... nice first name though

Jessica Lang
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Frank,
The 'try' didn't work...but thanks for helping..
After much research, I have figured out the reason. I upgraded my Win 98 recently to XP recently. In my previous WIn 98 desktop, I have a MS-DOS Prompt shortcut, so, when upgraded the OS, this short-cut remains on the XP desktop.
From my research, Win 98 uses Command.com while XP uses cmd.exe. Both commands treat the filename differently. In Command.com, it doesn't recognise "jdk1.3.1", 'cause it it confused with the many DOTS of the foldername...hence, it says "Invalid Directory". However, XP cmd.exe is about to recognise the "jdk1.3.1" foldername. So, I am using the XP cmd.exe which is activated from the START menu> ALL PROGRAMS> ACCESSORIES> COMMAND PROMPT
I am glad that I have managed to solve these two problems today.....Thanks to JavaRanch, all the members and a very helpful fren called Tony....
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic